Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

No Low beam and Spot lamps after handlebar install

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 08:21 PM
Jrindagame
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Low beam and Spot lamps after handlebar install

Hey all. I just today finished my ape hanger install on my 2013 road king. I was really worried about issues with the throttle cable coming unplugged while pulling wires but that is fine. My problem is the headlamp low beam and spot lamps will not come on. The highbeam works fine but nothing when I switch to low. I know for a fact all the solder connections are good but I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction. I also checked the ground at the risers and that is fine. Please Help!!!

Old 04-19-2014, 11:28 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 9,467 Likes on 5,048 Posts

Since you have high beam, we know that you have power to the dimmer switch. Chase that yellow wire, check for voltage at all connection points.

The problem is somewhere between where the yellow wire comes out of the dimmer switch, and the headlight connector.

Both High and Low beam use the same ground.

Old 04-20-2014, 05:21 AM
Jrindagame
Cruiser

First off thanks a ton for a response and Happy Easter. Before I read your post I bought a relay because I did not quite feel it switching when I turned on the ignition. That did not solve the problem. Is it safe to assume that the switch is good if my high beam is working? Should I check continuity from the switch to before the plug(With molex connectors)?? and then if that checks out go from plug to where?? Straight to headlight plug?? and is there anything under the tank that the yellow wire goes to? Because I did have the tank off for the handlebar install. Again thanks a ton for your response and time.

Old 04-20-2014, 07:53 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Jrindagame
Is it safe to assume that the switch is good if my high beam is working?
No, you only know that the high beam part of the switch is working at this point.

Disconnect the connector that goes to the handlebar switch, and connect your ohmmeter to the blue wire and the yellow wire (coming from the switch). When you switch it to low beam, you should see no resistance.

Also check the connector to be sure there is no damaged or dislocated pins or sockets.

Old 04-21-2014, 03:37 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

We get a steady trickle of queries with electrical problems after changing bars! Unfortunately you need to carefully retrace your steps, following the wires Dan referred to, to find the cause of the problem. You may have a pinched wire, or poor connection, probably something quite simple, when you find it!

Old 04-22-2014, 12:05 AM
Jrindagame
Cruiser

Okay fellers. Thanks again for the responses. I have tested the continuity at the plug end of the handlebar switch. When in high beam position there is continuity between the blue pin and white pin and open line to yellow. When I switch to low beam there is continuity between blue pin and yellow and open line to white. Which eliminates a problem with rocker switch and solder joints or anything on the handlebar side. Now where does the wires that go under the tank end up at??

Old 04-22-2014, 12:11 AM
Jrindagame
Cruiser

Originally Posted by grbrown
We get a steady trickle of queries with electrical problems after changing bars! Unfortunately you need to carefully retrace your steps, following the wires Dan referred to, to find the cause of the problem. You may have a pinched wire, or poor connection, probably something quite simple, when you find it!
Yea I know once I do find it its gonna be one of those palm to head moments . Im slowly narrowing it down between crazy swing shift hours at work. Once I do get it Ill be sure to post the solution because there is a ton of these threads but seems that nobody posts after solving the problem.

Old 04-22-2014, 04:50 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Jrindagame
Now where does the wires that go under the tank end up at??
The wire branches out into two sections, one goes to the headlight connector, the other to the switch for the spots.

Since both are not working, the problem is probably somewhere in the wiring before it branches out.

The likely suspect is the connector, check the pins and sockets, maybe one of them has been dislodged or bent.

Check continuity between the pin at the yellow wire in the connector, and at the headlight connector.

Old 04-22-2014, 08:39 AM
Jrindagame
Cruiser

. Okay so I found the problem. Turns out I really am as good asI thought when doing things....Even when it comes to screwing things up Im good. While checking the plug ends connected to the bike I traced wires back to under the tank and in the wire way and found no issues. I went back to the plug and seen it. The bike side plug had the blue(power wire) and white(high beam wire) flip flopped from my plug set up. So I switched those wire positions in the plug coming from the handlebar switches checked the other plugs and voila. The kicker is more than likely any other 2 wires switched would have blow a fuse or at least not allowed the high beam to work which was the most puzzling for me. I want to thank you guys for your help and offer if either of you are ever passing through Baltimore I will buy you some beers. Thannks felllas. Now time to re-assemble and enjoy my bars.

Old 04-22-2014, 08:41 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Thumbs up

Well done - we knew you could do it!

Quick Reply: No Low beam and Spot lamps after handlebar install