Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Fuses and Accessory ports

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2014 | 11:13 PM
AdvLobby
|
Intermediate
Default Fuses and Accessory ports

Folks,

I'm new to the HD world, although I had an 04 Police RK that I didn't keep very long. I just purchased a '14 Ultra and am working on the accessory plugs.

I come from BMW motorcycles, and I guess I'm sorta used to how they do their accessory plugs.

I just installed a powerlet plug off the accessory plug. Y'all know where the accessory plug is. I'll generally be using this for my battery tender.

I wired it directly to the plug, without an in-line fuse, and mounted the plug to the nut on the horn.

Question: I assume the accessory plug is already fused by HD at the factory? True? If so, where's the fuse? If not, I'll be removing everything and fusing it myself.

Question: HD motors run hot. Has anyone installed something like this and experienced any wires melting?

------------

Of course, there's another accessory plug near the battery charger. I intend to use this for my heated gear.

Same questions as before: are these plugs fused by HD? Where's the fuse?

Thanks for your help. The bike's sitting on the lift right now waiting on my to decide how to wire things.

Old 03-14-2014 | 03:09 AM
gusotto
Road Master

I would think the plug you are holding is the plug used for charging the battery, using a battery tender.
A lot of dealers install them when setting up the bike.
If so, remove the seat. It'll be wired to the -/+ of the battery and you'll see a fuse already on one lead.