Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Wiring mix up?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 05:01 PM
usraptor
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Wiring mix up?

Just installed new bars on my 2013 Road Glide Ultra. I ran the control wires internally. I was just buttoning up and testing all my switches and the horn and left turn signal are crossed somehow. FYI, everything else works correctly. I know the first thing is to check the wiring at the Molex connector because it appears I mixed up the two wires. Before I disconnected the wires from the connector I carefully drew a diagram of where each wire went. I have now also downloaded a wiring diagram which verifies I have my wires/colors correct on my diagram. I have checked and rechecked the Molex connector; had my wife check the colors/wires while I read them back to her and ditto with my mechanic son. The wires in the Molex connector are correct. So what do I check next?
HELP!
Thanks in advance,
Brad

Old 03-06-2014, 05:29 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 9,411 Likes on 5,011 Posts

Check the terminals in the connector with a voltmeter or a test light.

Once you figure out which two are the culprits, reverse their positions in the connector.

Old 03-06-2014, 09:05 PM
usraptor
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Okay, this is what I figured out so far. As much as I didn't want to, I disconnected the wires from the male Modex connector and pulled them back through the bars. Then stripped the plastic cover off the wires to makes sure all the internal connections were good and that I didn't accidentally strip a wire while pulling them thru the bars. That all checked out. Disassembled the switch housings to make sure there were no pinched wires there and all was good. I then plugged the horn and turn signal switch directly into the female molex connector bypassing the bars and male connector. The horn and turn signal then functionally properly. In inspecting the male connector more closely, I really boogered it up trying to take the wires out. Instead of using a paper clip I used a small jewelries screwdriver. So I'm thinking that it's so buggered up inside maybe two the the wire were touching. Anyway, I'm going to buy a new connector from Harley tomorrow and try again.
That being said, there are lots of threads on forums and on you tube about how to take the wires out of these connectors and all these say is reverse the procedure to put them back in. However, for those who are familar with these molex connectors I have a couple of questions. To disconnect the wires you grab the wire insert with a pair of needle nose and pull it out slightly until it clicks. When you reassemble, do you want the insert in the "out" position or do you push it back in first? When I leave it in the "out" position and then insert the wires I can't seat the insert back down to the locked position. When I push it down first, about half the wires go in okay, but the other half wont' go in unless I pull the insert back out and then it won't seat again. So which is the correct position for the insert, in or out?
Secondly, do you insert the rubber gasket and black plastic keeper into the molex before insert the wires or do you thread the wires through them, slide them up, insert the wires and then slide them back down into the molex connector. Any help on the proper reassembly sequence would be appreciated.