Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Where do I start?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 08:14 PM
odrat1
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Where do I start?

OK, so during the long winter I upgraded the signal lights on my 85 FXRS to LED. I had previously installed the Badlands self canceling signal module which had worked great. I installed the LED's and all was well. They looked great. All this while the bike was on the jack in the garage. Another project was to remove the sissy bar from the rear fender. After fumbling with bolts in tight places I was able to remove the sissy bar supports. Of course this required detaching the signals, etc. I did not remove the fender. Yesterday with good weather I finally fired her up for a spin. The left turn signals don't work....both rear and front. So being a compete noob at this before I start blindly trying to find the problem I come to the masters of this forum.
I am guessing that somehow the fender strut removal caused the issue because the bike has just been sitting on the tender. Could this affect the front signal as well? Maybe the wire got pinched when the fender dropped down....but would this get the front signal??? Right side works great. Any help would be appreciated because I could screw up an anvil with a rubber mallet. It could be staring me right in the face and I wouldn't see it and I could do more damage looking.

Old 03-05-2014, 11:22 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts

You have answered your own question! If everything worked fine before you removed the sissy bar, then something hasn't gone back quite right! Retrace your steps very carefully, checking your work, to find a damaged or mis-connected wire.