Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

96 sportster brake light question/issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 01:12 PM
smokinwill
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 sportster brake light question/issue

Ok first thing I'd like to ask is how to tell if my brake light is on or if it's just my running light.

The issue I'm having is that the rear tail light is on but doesn't get any brighter/more intense when brakes are applied(doesn't matter if front or rear or both are applied). I checked and replaced the bulb even though the original looked ok. Now with the cover off I did notice that both filaments are lit and I'm not sure if they are supposed to be or not.

So I guess my issue is either I have no brake light or the brake light is always on. Basically need to know which it is and then work from there.

I just bought the bike 2 weeks ago and can't remember if the brake light was working to begin with or not. Also the only work I've done so far was to install pigtails for charging the battery and installing the bullet style turn signal/running lights as the previous owner had removed them.

Edit: sorry for the long post but wanted to be as detailed as possible, but ask any questions if it looks like I left some info out.

Last edited by smokinwill; 02-22-2014 at 01:16 PM. Reason: spacing/added info