Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Headlight bulb change actually worth it

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 07:27 PM
flibuoy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Headlight bulb change actually worth it

More than I hoped for really. Tonight I swapped out headlight bulbs to a PIAA Extreme White. This is on an '05 Deuce, your experience with assembly/disassembly might vary. Mine was a bit tricky, especially with the extended front lip. It only goes together one way, the hard part is recalling that way. While it was apart I used a soft microfiber cloth on a long skinny Phillips to dust the inside of the lens.

Low beam just blew me away...not brighter...BRIGHT. Great cutoff, good range and very noticeably whiter. High beam is much better, but the lip still throws a distracting outer circle of light. My wife was following me on a separate trip, she shut her lights off and used mine from 50 yards back.

Small matter I know...it is just a bulb and all...but the bike has a ton of just a little mods and this is one of my favorites over the 7 years I have been riding it.
Followed very closely by the brake light mod. Maybe that is a tie, depends which way you look at the bike...

$41 free shipping from Amazon, search PIAA H4. Now back to bigger news

Old 02-22-2014, 10:58 AM
Chief Davis57
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default feedback

Good feedback on the bulb replacement. I don't see as well as I used to at night and I was talking to the parts guy at my local dealer who suggested the bulb replacement as a cheaper alternative to buying a day maker kit. $50 as opposed to $350 (on sale). thanks. ..

Old 02-22-2014, 09:06 PM
flibuoy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Chief Davis57
Good feedback on the bulb replacement. I don't see as well as I used to at night and I was talking to the parts guy at my local dealer who suggested the bulb replacement as a cheaper alternative to buying a day maker kit. $50 as opposed to $350 (on sale). thanks. ..
I don't pass out compliments unless my expectations are exceeded. I imagine the $350-550 LED set ups are pretty impressive. But this bulb is a huge step in the right direction. I have been riding on the street since 1968 and the other night was the first time I ever had enough light for reasonable safety. Scary.

Thanks for your service...now do yourself a favor and put the bulb in.

Old 03-04-2014, 12:00 PM
jphii
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found a new LED bulb that I am thinking of giving a try. http://www.cyclopsadventuresports.co...ulb-_p_83.html 60 bucks, and I know one of the guys who beta tested it. He said the output in the stock bucket is better than the TL.