Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Turn signal issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 09:46 PM
sick98
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turn signal issues

Ok, so I have got some issue's I'm trying to work out with my signals. I went from a 3 wire to a 2 wire and can not get my signals to work properly. The new signals are single filament so it's not an LED issue. I tried using diodes but that did not work either. Also now my head light wont come on. Is the running lights and signals a circuit that has to be complete for everything to work? If so how do I fix? It's a 98 883 if it makes any difference.

Old 01-26-2014, 10:31 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 9,411 Likes on 5,011 Posts

Originally Posted by sick98
Ok, so I have got some issue's I'm trying to work out with my signals. I went from a 3 wire to a 2 wire and can not get my signals to work properly. The new signals are single filament so it's not an LED issue. I tried using diodes but that did not work either. Also now my head light wont come on. Is the running lights and signals a circuit that has to be complete for everything to work? If so how do I fix? It's a 98 883 if it makes any difference.

First, you have to tell us what you did. What wires you cut, changed etc.

Second, are you using a wiring diagram?

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 01-26-2014 at 10:40 AM.
Old 02-08-2014, 12:49 PM
sick98
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Dan89FLSTC
First, you have to tell us what you did. What wires you cut, changed etc.

Second, are you using a wiring diagram?
Dan,
OK I only cut the front signal wires. There are three for each one. The black/ground, purple/signal, and the blue/running wires. I was not using a diagram because I figured "eh it's just turn signals." I am fairly certain that load resistors will fix my flash problem. I will find out today. However that still leaves me with the issue of the running light wires. I am trying not to use them because the signals I got for the front are only single filament 2 wire lights, but it seems to be a closed circuit of some sort because with out them all hooked up as the stock ones are, the head light does not work. I will have a diagram tomorrow finally. I have very limited knowledge in this whatsoever so any additional help would be awesome.

Old 02-09-2014, 09:07 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

You still haven`t said which wires you cut, and where you cut them.

You are trying to make the signals work, and delete the running lights, correct?

Signal wires are Brown/Right and Violet/Left.

Running light wires are blue.

The blue wire comes from the fuse and supplies power to the running lights on the rear of the bike, it then goes forward and branches into two legs:

The first leg goes to the headlight switch (which supplies the power to the headlight via yellow (low beam) and white (high beam) wires.

The second leg goes to the running lights on the front of the bike.

As long as you disconnect the blue wire up at the front where it goes to the running lights, it will not affect the headlight.

If you cut the wire before the spot where it branches off to the headlight switch, you will kill the headlight also.

Old 02-14-2014, 08:31 PM
sick98
1st Gear

I cut all three wires running to each front turn signal. I cut them right at the OEM signal so as to maximize the wire left on the bike. As far as the colors go, one could be brown, I'm a little color blind so they both look violet to me. Yes I am trying to make the signals work and delete the running lights. Like I said though I cut them right at the signal and if definitely affected my head light. I have the service manual now and have looked at the diagram. I want to just hook the two running light wires together to see if it will fix the head light problem. I don't think it will cause any issues but I'm not sure. Had to end up ordering my load resistors online they should be here tomorrow.
Thanks for any help and your patience!

Old 02-15-2014, 08:14 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

The headlight is not in the same circuit as the turn signals or running lights, it is powered by the yellow (low beam) and white (high beam) from the left control dimmer switch.

The dimmer switch gets its power from the blue wire, which is upstream of the turn signals, so cutting the wires at the turn signals will not affect the headlight.

Does the tail light work?

Old 02-17-2014, 07:57 AM
sick98
1st Gear

Dan,
The tail light is operating as it should. Still waiting on the resistors for the signals hopefully they come today. At least the weather has not been nice or I would be going insane.