Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Bike dies when charge on battery gets low!

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 09:51 AM
RodeoHard
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike dies when charge on battery gets low!

Hey all,

I reviewed the stickies on charging system diagnostics but I am unable to find the answer.

Ride: 1990 Softail Custom.
Problem: when the battery is unable to charge well on short rides the bike will simply die and I am unable to start it unless I can charge the battery.

Question: Once the bike starts is the battery still in use to keep the bike running? Would the bike run if after starting I pulled the battery out?

I have been stranded twice like this, what should I do, I charge the battery and test it with a volt meter all is well. I replaced the coil last year, and followed all the tests in the stickies. I still don't have a clue.

Old 07-20-2013, 10:09 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 9,411 Likes on 5,011 Posts

Even when only riding short rides, your charging system will keep the battery fully charged. You have an issue with either the charging system or the battery (or both).

Make sure all electrical connections are clean and secure. Make sure the alternator connector plug is ok.

Evo Softails are battery murderers...they shake `em and bake `em.

Have the battery load tested, or get a new battery, a voltmeter is not going to tell you the condition of the battery.

Once you know you have a good, fully charged battery, you can check out the charging system.

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 07-20-2013 at 10:13 AM.
Old 07-20-2013, 06:15 PM
RodeoHard
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan89FLSTC
Even when only riding short rides, your charging system will keep the battery fully charged. You have an issue with either the charging system or the battery (or both).

Make sure all electrical connections are clean and secure. Make sure the alternator connector plug is ok.

Evo Softails are battery murderers...they shake `em and bake `em.

Have the battery load tested, or get a new battery, a voltmeter is not going to tell you the condition of the battery.

Once you know you have a good, fully charged battery, you can check out the charging system.
Thanks for the info, I followed the instructions in the diagnostic sticky, and discovered that my regulator is dead. would that keep the bike from starting? the Battery is good and so is the stator......

Old 07-21-2013, 08:39 AM
prplglide
Tourer
Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

No. The voltage regulator will not prevent your bike from starting; it prevents it from charging the battery correctly however, which eventually leads to a dead/low battery, or over charged. That will prevent your bike from starting.

Old 07-24-2013, 11:21 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by RodeoHard
Thanks for the info, I followed the instructions in the diagnostic sticky, and discovered that my regulator is dead. would that keep the bike from starting? the Battery is good and so is the stator......
Would it keep the bike from starting? Only when the battery has lost power! Your bike is currently totally dependent on the battery, as the charging circuit is not working. Replace your regulator and all should be sweetness and light once more!