Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

07 street glide brake light

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2013 | 10:38 AM
mmarino
|
Intermediate
Default 07 street glide brake light

I'm having issues with my brake light it stopped working, took the bulb out to check it it was fine, put it all back and bam it worked for about a week, until last night my brake light again stopped working. What should I check next or what could it be?
Thanks

Old 02-18-2013 | 12:01 PM
FXD2003Rider
Administrator Emeritus
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by mmarino
I'm having issues with my brake light it stopped working, took the bulb out to check it it was fine, put it all back and bam it worked for about a week, until last night my brake light again stopped working. What should I check next or what could it be?
Thanks
Have you checked the pins and contacts for corrosion?

Old 02-18-2013 | 01:00 PM
grbrown
Club Member

Originally Posted by FXD2003Rider
Have you checked the pins and contacts for corrosion?
...or just loose?

Electrical problems are often mechanical - in other words something is not physically quite right. You may have a poor ground, a chafed wire, loose connection, etc. Take time to clean everything around the brake switch and follow the wiring, checking it carefully.

Old 02-18-2013 | 01:41 PM
mmarino
|
Intermediate

I cleaned it all out replug the light works great, I go around the block it stops working. I'm assuming something is loose and with the vibration it looses contact. Is replacing the tail light the fix? ( sorry if it is a dumb question I have never even tried to fixed my own car or bike before) if so is it possible to get the socket with the connector or do I have to get the whole light? Or am I looking at an issue with the connector that's on the bike?

Old 02-21-2013 | 03:03 PM
mmarino
|
Intermediate

Ok so I need help, I replace the tail light with an led taillight from Jp cycles. Plug the new led turn the bike on, test it it worked, with front and rear brake, then it flashed twice and now it only works with front brake but with if I press the brake pedal nothing happens..... What am I doing wrong???!!! Any help is appreciated

Old 02-21-2013 | 03:18 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

welcome..
1.) have you reconnected the stock light to see if it works properly?
2.) have you checked your connection at the rear brake light switch? It's located just aft the transmission shroud on the right side of bike. Unplug the two wires on the brake light switch and use a paper clip to jump the two wires together. the brake light should work. If it doesn't then your issue is somewhere upstream of the brake light switch either in the wiring or the tail light itself.

Old 02-21-2013 | 03:29 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

and when you say it blinked twice, is that your alarm system that's making it blink twice when you turn the ignition off?

Old 02-21-2013 | 03:35 PM
mmarino
|
Intermediate

Ultranutz, thanks, I am the one that started the thread. Anyhow if I replug the old taillight, the brake light plain does not work with either front nor back brake, I was having issues hence swapping it to the led one. Let me preface this with I have no mechanical experience/ability and this is the first bike I ever tried to "fix myself".
With rear stoplight switch if I understand right if I remove it I have to bleed the brakes, is that what you are talking about or just unplug the the wires from it? Also by replacing from the stock incandescent light to led is it a "plug and play" or do I need a load equalizer? Or does an equalizer is only needed if I replace all the lights?

Old 02-21-2013 | 03:39 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

no sir. do not take out the brake light switch, simply unplug to the 2 wires going to it the jump the 2 wires with a paper clip (with ignition on) to see if brake light comes on.

Old 02-21-2013 | 04:29 PM
mmarino
|
Intermediate

Ok so I did that and yes the light in fact did come on. With the flash is not the security system, don't have the option, but thinking back I was pressing the brake pedal the light worked and then flashed so I guess it could be that I flicker and then died. Anywho I'm assuming then the issue is the switch I just have the bad luck that my twilight net fixed and then the switch went

Quick Reply: 07 street glide brake light