Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Xl1200C Headlght swap help.

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2012 | 12:28 PM
KarismaVIII
|
5th Gear
Default Xl1200C Headlght swap help.

New to the forums, I'm sure there is a thread already about this but i could not find it. Anyways I have a 07 1200 custom and i want to swap the 7 in headlight for a 5 3/4 headlight, so i cant get a detachable fairing from harley. the only 5 3/4 headlights that i found are bottom mount are old style lamps. any knowledge on conversion kits or a good site to find these lights would be aprreciated!

Old 05-15-2012 | 12:10 PM
KarismaVIII
|
5th Gear
Default will these work?!

i looked into the custom chrom catalog and found these 5 1/2 in bates style headlights. i like the look of them and they are bottom mount so i believe i will be able to make them work, should this headlight replacement allow me to fit the detachable quarter fairing windshield from HD?????

http://customchromecatalog.com/2012/full.asp?page=198

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

Last edited by KarismaVIII; 05-15-2012 at 12:12 PM. Reason: add links
Old 05-16-2012 | 01:03 AM
Banggood
Former Sponsor

I remember saw some one done a similar job of having the headlights and the windshield at the same time ,so it wouldn't be much of a problem . But to be more sure , you should ask a local motor shop if they can handle this job .

Old 05-16-2012 | 10:24 AM
Chad1200
Road Master

I took this quote from your post on my picture:

Originally Posted by KarismaVIII
...i have a couple questions, i also have a 1200c and i saw a couple of your posts and saw yo uran into a couple problems that i am currently having. a couple things, first how did you get the HD quarter fairing to fit on the 7 in headlight? and to install ta new bar setup what did you have to do? the speedometer/pullback setup is confusing to me, did you have to replace the thriple tree to allow risers to mount?
The headlight on the XL1200C is not 7", it's 5 3/4" just like the standard XL. If you want to convert your XL1200C so you can run the Detachable H-D Quarter Fairing, all you need is the eyebrow-mount headlamp housing from a XL1200R, XL883, XL1200N, XL883N, XL1200L, etc. I bought mine from a guy on the forums who removed it from his XL1200L. There's a chrome plate on the front of your top tree held on by 2 bolts...remove that plate and that's where the eyebrow will mount. You can remove your existing headlamp from the bottom-mount headlight housing on your bike and insert it into the eyebrow-mount housing (you may have to cut and re-solder the wiring but that's not a big deal). To attach the fairing, you need to order the Docking Hardware for Detachable Windshields kit (Part # 58164-96A). It's an easy install!

If you wanna do tall risers and bars, you have to ditch the XL1200C riser/speedo combo because the bolt pattern on that riser clamp is not compatible with anything. Keep in mind that if you decide to use the eyebrow-mount headlight, you have to get rid of it anyway because they get in the way of each other. Once you get rid of that piece, you can use any type of risers you want...mine are 9.5" Wild 1 Chubby risers. The speedo/riser clamp is from an XL1200N (Nightster) and the bars are H-D Nightrod Special. I had to order some miscellaneous parts from H-D to swap over my indicator lights from the Xl1200C riser clamp to the XL1200N riser clamp but it wasn't that difficult once I knew what I needed.

Hopefully this helps you out!

Last edited by Chad1200; 05-16-2012 at 11:16 AM.
Old 05-16-2012 | 11:48 AM
KarismaVIII
|
5th Gear

[quote=Chad1200;9808099]I took this quote from your post on my picture:

If you wanna do tall risers and bars, you have to ditch the XL1200C riser/speedo combo because the bolt pattern on that riser clamp is not compatible with anything. Keep in mind that if you decide to use the eyebrow-mount headlight, you have to get rid of it anyway because they get in the way of each other. Once you get rid of that piece, you can use any type of risers you want...quote]

Thanks Chad! you've helped alot. Also a little confused on what you meant by " Keep in mind that if you decide to use the eyebrow-mount headlight, you have to get rid of it anyway because they get in the way of each other."

Does that mean if after i decide to swap in an eyebrow to get the HD fairing to mount, that even after thats installed id have to remove the eyebrow? to get the risers to fit? would that still allow the fairing to mount?

i do like the 9.5 chubby risers alot, possibly with licks 2" drag bars

Old 05-16-2012 | 12:03 PM
Chad1200
Road Master

Originally Posted by KarismaVIII
Thanks Chad! you've helped alot. Also a little confused on what you meant by " Keep in mind that if you decide to use the eyebrow-mount headlight, you have to get rid of it anyway because they get in the way of each other."

Does that mean if after i decide to swap in an eyebrow to get the HD fairing to mount, that even after thats installed id have to remove the eyebrow? to get the risers to fit? would that still allow the fairing to mount?

i do like the 9.5 chubby risers alot, possibly with licks 2" drag bars
Sorry, I meant to say that you can use any risers you want with that eyebrow-mount, except for the XL1200C speedo/riser clamp. The front of the riser will get in the way of the back of the eyebrow-mount.

Wild 1 makes good risers...I'm quite happy with mine. If you wanna go taller, www.deathsquadmc.net makes 10" and 12" risers. Another option is West Coast T-bars. You may have to lengthen some cables and wiring, depending on how tall you go.

Glad I could help!

Old 05-16-2012 | 12:19 PM
KarismaVIII
|
5th Gear

Ok sweet! yah it seems the mx bars from west coast. are a little chaper than getting bars and both risers, can get a little spendy. but do you have to replace the entire speedo assembly or just get rid of the mount and install into a 48 mount? because i cant seem to find an entire assembly, and HD parts online wont let me buy the unit OEM.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Harley-Sport...75849772707802

Old 05-16-2012 | 12:21 PM
KarismaVIII
|
5th Gear

Ok sweet! yah it seems the mx bars from west coast. are a little chaper than getting bars and both risers, can get a little spendy. but do you have to replace the entire speedo assembly or just get rid of the mount and install into a 48 mount? because i cant seem to find an entire assembly, and HD parts online wont let me buy the unit OEM.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Harley-Sport...75849772707802

i know these wires are cut short, but just the idea.

Old 05-16-2012 | 12:41 PM
Chad1200
Road Master

You can use your existing speedo and inidicator lamps...all you need is the correct housing or "mount." If you go with West Coast t-bars, you need to get an earlier H-D Sportster/Dyna speedo housing that's not molded into the riser clamp and then use that with an Accutronix guarge mount for t-bars, which is also sold by West Coast t-bars.

The H-D speedo housing isn't in the online parts catalogue...you'd have to phisically go into the dealership and tell them what you want or find one on ebay.

The bar/riser/speedo combinations you can use are endless, just find what will work best for you.

Old 05-16-2012 | 03:31 PM
KarismaVIII
|
5th Gear

thanks for all the help man!

Last edited by KarismaVIII; 05-16-2012 at 03:48 PM.