Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

removable tourpak electrical plug in

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 10:28 AM
TennesseeJed
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking removable tourpak electrical plug in

i have a 2012 street glide. i had a king tourpak with detachable 2up mounting rack installed. in addition, i added a color matched tour pak spoiler kit .
the dealer want to wire the led spoiler light to a plug in under the seat.
to me, this takes away from being easily removable in that i would need to remove the seat to unplug it. i have found a connector that is adjacent to the fuse box under the removable panel on the left side. could not the dealer wire it so the led spoiler would plug into here? thusly making it waaaay more EASILY detachable? or is this plug for some other function. it appears the leads do go into a area where possibly the running lights and brake wires may be. i had a bro tell me this plug may be for tuning purposes. thanks for any input

TJ

Old 04-18-2012, 02:36 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

your buddy is correct on the plug at the fuse box. this is for the ECM/Tuning/Diagnostic tool connections only.

Old 04-18-2012, 03:58 PM
ThunderBueller
Road Master

This is where a service manual comes in handy so you can look up and understand which plug does what function and not have to rely on false information. There is likely more than one plug under the left side cover. On my 2010 there are three; one for the ABS diode pack, one for the Data Link connector and the third is the Tour Pak connector. The TP connector, on my bike, was zip tied in a bundle and once undone will go to about a foot away from the TP. It is a 3-wire AMP Multilock connector, which the manual shows how to assemble/disassemble if needed. On my '10 the wire colors are: black for ground, red with yellow tracer for brake and blue for running lights.

Good luck.

Old 04-18-2012, 05:19 PM
Retrax
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 2009 tourpack has the LED run/brake spoiler light wired under the seat. I think it is just as quick to pop the seat off as it would be to take the saddle bag off to be able to remove the side cover. 2 screws and the seat's off, unplug the wire plug from the accy connector, plug the rubber plug back into the accy connector to keep dirt out, pop seat back on. I am pretty sure I could do it in less than 60 seconds if really wanted to.

Old 04-19-2012, 03:16 AM
ThunderBueller
Road Master

The sidecover does NOT need to be removed each time the harness needs to be plugged/unplugged. The harness is long enough to extend out to the rear upper shock bolt, so nothing needs to be removed, thus even quicker than removing the seat.

Old 04-19-2012, 06:39 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by ThunderBueller
false information.
Good luck.
I guess it was false information for a 10' and up model. the 09 has a single connector at the fuse box and that's specifically for the Data Link connector. I do have the tourpak connector but that is located under the seat and when the zip tie is removed it extends exactly 2" and that's it.

Guess they changed it up on the 10' and up models.

Old 04-19-2012, 06:54 AM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 165 Likes on 114 Posts

I installed the tourpak, with LED lighting, onto my 09 Road King. The Harley light kit is made to be installed with the harness connector plugged in by the rear fender, under the seat. I would imagine that anything you could think of could be done to mod your bike. It might be easiest to splice in an extra plug in connection outside of the seat, on the harness leading up to the tourpak? Remember that this would give you an additional (open to the weather) point of connection failure. I also thought that it would be a PITA to have to take the seat off every time I wanted to remove the tourpak, but, once it was on I haven't wanted to take it off.

For the once a year or so extensive cleaning I would probably take the seat off anyhow.

Old 04-19-2012, 12:58 PM
Retrax
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
I guess it was false information for a 10' and up model. the 09 has a single connector at the fuse box and that's specifically for the Data Link connector. I do have the tourpak connector but that is located under the seat and when the zip tie is removed it extends exactly 2" and that's it.

Guess they changed it up on the 10' and up models.
I think my 09 Streetglide is the same way. I couldn't find anything under the side cover. Mine plugs into the accessory connector under the seat. One pin is for brake, one for ground, one for tail/running lamp, and the fourth which I think powers on and off with the accessory switch on the dash is unused in my setup.