Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Proper Operation of Lightbars

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 07:30 PM
Vinish
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Proper Operation of Lightbars

I am installing a lightbar that mounts below the headlight, has two large lights, has a switch on the backside of the lightbar, and has the turn signals mounted on the ends of the lightbar. I have a general question. My question is not about how to wire the lightbar but rather - how should the two spotlights on the lightbar be operated? Should they:

1) Be on ONLY when the main headlight is on low beam setting?
2) Be on ONLY when the main headlight is on high beam setting?
3) Be on all the time (i.e. when the main headlight is on either low or high beam setting)?
4) Something else?

Thanks and G'day,

Vinish

Old 04-09-2012, 09:40 AM
White Ice
Stellar HDF Member
Received 418 Likes on 190 Posts

When do you want them to operate?
What do the laws in your state dictate? (hint - it's pretty much the same across North America)

Old 04-09-2012, 03:03 PM
Retrax
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The way they are set up to work from the factory, like the ones on an Ultra Classic are:

Spotlights operate on or off with the separate on off switch on dash if the main headlight is on "Low" beam. If you switch the main headlight to High beam, the spot lights will turn off regardless if the dash "spotlight switch" is in the on or off position.

I was always told it was set up that way due to D.O.T. regulations, but HD sells a plug and play harness which allows the spot lights to stay on with the dash mounted switch independently of the head light being on high or low beam.

I think you can wire yours any way you want them to work, regardless of a "right or wrong" way.