Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Front turn signal relocation?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 05:35 AM
Cullmanco
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front turn signal relocation?

Hello, I would like to relocate the front turn signals on my 2007 FXST. The instructions that come with the kit from harley says to cut the wires to remove approx 6-8 inches of excess wire that will be left over. I don't really want to cut the wires to remove such a small amout of wire because I feel like that could just cause wiring connection problems later on. I guess I may be a little OCD about wanting things (especially wiring) to stay and look as factory as possible, so here is my question. Is it a bad job to remove the gas tank on my bike? I thought if I do that, I can relocate the turn signals with the tank off, run the wires as neat as possible and then fold and tie the excess wire to the main wiring harness that runs under the tank and hide it. I know this probably sounds like I am going to the extreme here, but I just want to keep things as neat, clean looking and in the factory (wiring) condition as possible. I would appreciate any tips, advice or comments that will help me with this project. Thanks

Old 02-21-2012, 06:04 AM
FXBadass
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could go either way with this.

Unless you plan on putting them back up there, I would cut and solder the wires, staggering the joints, placing small skrink wrap around each wire splice, then a larger skrink wrap around the whole splice. I did that 1 year with mine as the signal extensions were 6" too long, but it was just a jumbled mess under the tank (there's not a lot of room under there). You can do this splice without removing the tank and disconnecting the plug. I would relocate your signals first, then see what you have left for slack when cutting the wheel, then mark it.

Good luck with it.