Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Wiring Options for Auxillary Lighting

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 09:36 PM
OldNavy66
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Wiring Options for Auxillary Lighting

I am about to order the Auxiliary Lighting kit for my 2010 Fatboy Lo with the intent to start with stock sealed beam bulbs, then later upgrade to HID or LED bulbs. I am aware that the "standard" wiring method calls for connecting to the AUX circuit wire via the headlight bucket and adding a toggle switch, however, this disables the passing lamps when the high beam is activated.

I would prefer to wire the passing lamps independently so that they can remain on regardless of the Hi/Lo switch, but also assume that this would draw too many amps from the lighting circuit while the Hi beams are on, especially if eventually transitioned to HID lamps. I also assume that a relay should be used to activate lamps via a toggle switch, while the high voltage side is powered by the "AUX" circuit.

Since you guys have seen it all, is there any advice, "gotcha's" or words of wisdom that you might pass on before I start this winter project?

Thanks in advance.

Real Old Navy

Old 01-23-2012, 08:37 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

OldNavy66, there are hundreds of posts here on the forum for wiring the passing lamps to where they operate with the high and low beams as well as being able to turn them off when needed wired in the same situation.

Here's one:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...always-on.html

Old 01-23-2012, 10:49 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

If you use an auto lighting relay and run the power wire for it direct from the battery (via a fuse), you can tap a wire off the ignition circuit simply to switch the relay and have an additional toggle switch for your new lights. A suitable circuit diagram should come with your new relay. It's what I did on my Glide when adding fog lights.

Old 01-23-2012, 09:18 PM
OldNavy66
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

UltraNutz and grbrowm - Thanks Guys, this is good info. I know that this question must have been asked many times in the past, but didn't know just where to find it. I'll post pictures to the Softtail forum once this is completed.

Ride safe.