Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Adding turn signals to use as run/brake light

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 05:42 PM
richmac64
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Adding turn signals to use as run/brake light

Okay, here's what I'm trying to do and I'm hoping someone can help me out a little. I want to add some extra run/brake lighting so I bought a turn signal relocation bracket that mounts to the license plate and a pair of stock rear turn signals. I would like to add them so that they operate as run/brake lights. My thought was to wire them into the tail light wiring, but I wanted to make sure that makes sense and will work. I am in the UK and have removed my HD run/brake module because the turn signals must be amber. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 12-20-2011, 06:28 PM
CosmoKramer
Cruiser

The turn signals you bought.....do they have a dual filament bulb? Another way to check is if they have 3-wires (blue, violet and black) coming out of them.

If they do, then you can wire the blue to your stock blue wire (running lights) and the violet to your red/yellow wire (brake) and the black to black (ground). You can splice them in anywhere...depending on how clean you want to make it.

Old 12-24-2011, 04:00 AM
richmac64
Tourer

Thanks for the info. I have the stock turn signals which are three wire. I looked at the wiring diagram in the service manual and thought that's what I could do but just wanted to make sure. Now I've just got to get out there and get them mounted.

Old 12-28-2011, 01:19 AM
HTS Mike
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by richmac64
Thanks for the info. I have the stock turn signals which are three wire. I looked at the wiring diagram in the service manual and thought that's what I could do but just wanted to make sure. Now I've just got to get out there and get them mounted.

Just be sure to keep an eye on the fuse on that circuit. You should be fine but the stock tail light has a single bulb, and each turn signal will be adding another bulb, so you will be about tripling the current through that fuse.