Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Wiring my amplifier to the Aux Switch

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2011 | 09:16 PM
wrongwrench
|
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring my amplifier to the Aux Switch

have an 07 road king classic, kids bought me a pyle radio of which I have the speakers mounted on the bars and intend to put the amp in the bag on my windshield. Question: a dealer told me I can wire the 2 leads for power from the pyle to the aux switch. I unscrewed the switch and find 2 wires with a third copper pole not being used. Not being a wiring guy, can I splice into these wiring with the 2 wires coming from the amp as I want to keep the speaker wires and power wire in the bag making less of mess of wires.

Attached Thumbnails Wiring my amplifier to the Aux Switch-2011-05-02_20-18-24_853.jpg  
Old 05-03-2011 | 06:31 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

that is a double pole switch from what I see in the pic meaning that power is fed into one leg of that switch and then depending on the position of the switch, it's fed through the switch out one of the other legs but not both at the same time. not sure based on the physical size of that switch if it can handle the amperage draw from your amplifier.

my suggestion is this since you want to try and keep the wiring and the connections inside the bag;

go down to the auto-parts store, grab you a trailer wiring harness kit. Cut all the wires off (or tape them up out of the way) except for 2 wires (your choice of the colors) Run two of those wires from inside the bag down behind your headlamp to a grey plug that is laying free back there. Can't remember the color of the wiring but the wire with the orange stripe is your accessory circuit and has enough amperage to handle your amplifier. You'll need to get your ground from that general location as well and tie it DIRECTLY to the frame to eliminate any chance of ignition/engine noise filtering through to the amplifier. Wire the other end of the trailer harness to your amplifiers (normally red, blue or yellow, black) power wires and simple plug it in inside the bag. The red wire coming from the amp is power, the blue or yellow is remote(this is what turns the amp off and on), the black is ground. The red and blue or yellow wires coming from the amp will need to be tied together for power and then the black is obviously ground.

Hopefully this gives you enough information to proceed. Give us a shout if you need more assistance with this.

UltraNutZ

Last edited by UltraNutZ; 05-03-2011 at 06:34 AM.
Old 05-04-2011 | 09:27 PM
wrongwrench
|
Stage III

Ultranutz: thank you very much for your reply. I have 2 switches on both sides of the front chrome casing. My picture is the switch for the on/off for my fog lamps. the hot is is in the middle and the switch says ON/OFF. However the way it is wired it should say ON/ON since up or down boths gives me live feed. Oh well.

I moved over the other switch and the hot is coming in the left side which I think is wrong as well. However, since I do have one hot and it does go off when I shut off the bike, I was thinking of splicing the hot wire from mini amp which has power specs of: for 12V battery, system gives out 50Watts x 2 @ 2 Ohm 10%THD???????duhh?? In laymans terms, will this be okay to splice to this aux switch?

I have a service manual and can not find these toggle switchs anywhere in the manual. Either I am looking in the wrong section as they look like part of the bike? Do they go back to a connector in the seat? If yes, I just didnt want to run the wire back under the seat if I didnt have to.

I will look for that hot wire you mentioned, however, why is a toggle switch on my left side then and what is it for?

Again thanks for your reply.

Old 05-05-2011 | 06:38 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

If the left switch isn't being used for anything I would say yes you can use it. You should be good on the amperage as I wouldn't think HD would put a switch there that isn't rated for at least 30 or so amps and I know that amp won't pull that kind of juice. My 06 RK had a switch resembling your pic above on the right side for passing lamps but I did not have one on the left side so who knows. It may simply be an "accessory" switch hence the reason power shuts off with the ignition.

Old 05-05-2011 | 04:51 PM
wrongwrench
|
Stage III
Thumbs up

Thank you again Ultranutz: I will splice it tonight and see how works. If I turn on the mini amp and all electrical fails, I will know that my future is not in electronics. The wiring on the mini amp is about the same as the switch so it must be okay. Plus, this could mean my loving children who bought me this unit must not know that the dba rating for my pipes will still be 15 pts higher than the highest volume setting on the speakers??? Oh well, the thoughts that count.