Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

No spark getting to engine

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 01:33 PM
pizablo187
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question No spark getting to engine

The Story
I own a 1994 Sportster. Sunday morning, I went to start my bike and it wouldnt start right away. The motor was turning but it wouldnt start. 3 minutes of trying to start it, the bike fired up and I went on my way. Went to a buddy's house, stayed for an hour, went to leave and the bike fired right up. I went to another friend's house, was there for probably 4 or 5 hours. At the end of the night I went to leave, my bike wouldnt start and hasnt kicked on since.

What Ive Done So Far
Well, the engine's turning over and its getting fuel, so im pretty certain its not a fuel problem. First, I got a new battery since I needed one anyway, and the new battery did not help at all. I took the spark plugs out of the engine, re-connected them to the wires, and tried starting the bike and no spark was present for either plug. Went and got new plugs (even though the old ones didnt look fouled) and the new plugs did nothing. I then started to look at the coil. Thinking it was the coil, (and new ignition coils only being 40.00), I bought a new coil hoping for the best. Put the new coil on yesterday and im still not getting any spark to the plugs. I even gotta voltage tester and tested the old coil and it had continuity. I then started to think about the kill switch being bad. Took the controls apart, tried jumping the kill switch and it didnt make a difference. Besides, the wires were soldered to the switch and everything seemed like it was in working order. Im still not convinced its not the switch, so its not entirely ruled out, but its not at the top of my list. The only thing I can think of now would be either the voltage regulator, the stator, or the spark plug wires. I guess it could be the ignition, but when i turn the ignition, all of my electrical components turn on.

Also, for both plug wires to go at the same time would be pretty incredible. So I guess before I do anything else Im going to try and get some new plug wires, but after that, Im totally stumped....

Old 07-30-2009, 04:37 PM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

First take your voltage tester and see if you have 12 volts with the ignition on at the coil(white wire). If not then chase the problem bac to where you have 12 Volts and fix it. If you do then you either have a bad pickup or ignition module.

Old 07-31-2009, 07:50 AM
pizablo187
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks a lot, I actually looked at schematics for my bike last night and found my ignition control module and it would make a lot of sense. I'll do that test and go from there, thanks!