Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Lighting Prob. 87' FXSTC.

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 03:50 PM
DosDiablos
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lighting Prob. 87' FXSTC.

I inherited an 87' FXSTC and it's been a little neglected. Trying to give her some TLC. First prob., headlights and front turn signal/running lights aren't coming on. Rear does work though.

To be honest, Harleys are a little new to me. I've built a couple old school metric choppers (with simple wiring) so I'm learnin' the basics.

The front turn signal/running lights and headlight should come on when I turn on just the ignition (not motor) right?

Is there a fuse block on it? Don't see one. Just relays and breakers?

Took a light bulb out (in case they were burned out) and am testing with a voltmeter. Should get a 12v. reading at bulb socket right?

Sorry for the Noob questions. Thanks for any suggestions.

Old 07-18-2009, 03:29 PM
SEDELUXE
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by DosDiablos
I inherited an 87' FXSTC and it's been a little neglected. Trying to give her some TLC. First prob., headlights and front turn signal/running lights aren't coming on. Rear does work though.

To be honest, Harleys are a little new to me. I've built a couple old school metric choppers (with simple wiring) so I'm learnin' the basics.

The front turn signal/running lights and headlight should come on when I turn on just the ignition (not motor) right?

Is there a fuse block on it? Don't see one. Just relays and breakers?

Took a light bulb out (in case they were burned out) and am testing with a voltmeter. Should get a 12v. reading at bulb socket right?

Sorry for the Noob questions. Thanks for any suggestions.
welcome try and get your self a service manual. it will have the electrical diagram in it.
on my 05 i was chasing a problem with the front head light going out at certin rpms and when the light went out the high beam light would come on. yea i know. i traced the problem back too a burned out h4 socket. the part that goes directly to the bulb. you see one of the wirers was loose and causing inconsistent power to the light. i spoke to Dan TXCHOP and he told me just get a h4 pig tail. i put about 50 miles on the bike today and no problem
back to your question yes check all fuses might be under seat or on the side just replace them all and check for any loose wires, but get a manual or go to the nearest dealer and sak them to photo copy the epages for ya then trace the wirers back.
dont give up you will find it
good luck
G

Old 07-18-2009, 07:55 PM
DosDiablos
6th Gear

Thanks "deluxe" for the suggestions.

I have a manual, but I still don't see a fuse block listed. Unless it's being listed under another name and I just don't recognize it.

I've been scouring the net and I see some people saying there are fuses and some saying there is not. I don't see any apparent fuses and that's why I'm a little confused. I would think all bikes have fuses, but some say there are only relays and breakers.

Would just be easier to attack the problem if I knew exactly what I was dealing with. Just need to find someone experienced with that year/model. Once I know the basics I'm usually good to go.

Thanks for any more info. Might try to post this in Softail section.