Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Renault Clio - Toxic fume/electrical fault warning light

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 04:27 AM
mady
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Renault Clio - Toxic fume/electrical fault warning light

I have a 2003 1.2 16v Clio, its done 65,000 miles with full dealer service history.

a couple of months ago, after a long drive on a hot day, the Electrical fault warnign light came on and the engine lost power. The problem went away if you switched the engine off and back on again, with no waiting in between.

It hhas happened several times since, onhot days, so I took it to a garage (not a Renault dealer) and they checked for faults on the engine management system, but there were none logged. For about three weeks after this check it didn't come on again, but its just done it again today (another hot one), this time the Toxic Fume warning light came on with it. I switche doff the engine and started it again - the electrical fault light went out, but the toxic fume light stayed on.

I noticed there are a couple of posts on here about the Toxic Fume warning, someone suggested some fuel injector cleaner, so I think I'll try this before I go and pay dealer rates to have them look at it!

Any other suggestions on possible causes/solutions?

Thanks a lot!