Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Communications Advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 10:22 PM
Eh45
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Communications Advice

I am looking to find a way to communicate with a rider on a different bike, or my wife when she is on the back using a headset of some type. What I picture in my head is a headset that will have two speakers that mount in a helmet, and either a boom mic or a mic that can fit in a full face helmet. I am thinking that it would be nice if it would work with Midland or Motorolla 2way FRS or GMRS radios that I already have. With this in mind I would like to use a PTT button, or use the PTT on the radio.
What I picture is a setup that would be reasonably priced enough that other people in our group of riders could buy them for occasional use, then we could be on the same 2-way channel so we could keep in contact. Any advice would be great.

Thanks.

Old 05-26-2009, 02:39 AM
guido4198
Stellar HDF Member
Received 8,511 Likes on 2,490 Posts

You ask a legitimate question. Don't take this response as being disrespectful...your needs are your own, and I sincerely wish you luck in your search. ...HOWEVER...this reminds me of an experience I had 24 yrs ago that still brings a smile, and I thought I'd share.
I had just got my brand new '85 FXR broken in, just in time for a run from Tennessee to Daytona for Bike Week. Had the wife on the back....her first Bike Week. We're seeing a lot of bikes, of all kinds. The wife sees a bunch of Goldwingers go by with microphones on their helmets...she asks "what are those things??" I politely explain that they are the microphones for their intercom/communication system. "We need those too..!!" she says. I stop the bike....put a foot down, turn around and look at her..."I'm out here...riding my motorcikle, enjoying the wind on my face..." I explain calmly.. "Why the f**k would I want to talk to you??" It's 24 yrs later...she's LONG gone...219,000 mi.later...I still have the same bike.

Old 05-26-2009, 07:02 AM
Eh45
3rd Gear

I understand your situation. Been there. I mainly would like a way to communicate with the rider at the back of the group. recently we were riding with about 50 bikes and a rider went down near the back. I usually am up front, and did not find out we were missing anyone until 30 miles down the road. So for breakdowns and crashes I thought it would be helpful. We also bring a chase truck sometimes and it would be nice if we could communicate with them. Not to mention the nimrod who forgets to fill up with gas and runs out on the road. Anyway, it seems my buddy in the back always gets stuck on the side of the road by himself with these people.

Old 05-26-2009, 08:49 AM
mcrider1
Road Warrior
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

I use an Autocom Active Plus Duo www.autocomamerica.com. These are not inexpensive, but they are very good. The Super Pro Avi model is even better. You can do bike to bike (FRS, GMRS, or CB) with the Autocom. You can also do music, intercom, cell phone, & connect radar and GPS for voice prompts. Starcom also makes a good system.

Old 05-26-2009, 11:31 AM
sailnjay
Road Captain

I use a system from IMC called a MIT 100 on my Road King allows it connection of FRS radios as well as mp3 player and cell phone. They have an inexpensive model that works just for 2-way radios. Mine works well although if I had to do it again I might go with a bluetooth set up. This setup is probably not as good as the autocom but it's much cheaper. Check it out.

http://www.armoredrider.com/mod/category/id_ctg/40

Last edited by sailnjay; 05-26-2009 at 11:33 AM. Reason: added thought
Old 05-26-2009, 03:42 PM
Eh45
3rd Gear

With the combo radio/FRS how do you regulate the volume? when you are listening to music does it automatically cut out when someone calls on the radio? I was actually looking for something in the pricerange of $200 or less, sot the MIT-100 might work for what I need.

Old 05-26-2009, 03:50 PM
Eh45
3rd Gear

I got my answer to the auto cut-out function. I am thinking that I have absolutely no need to talk to anyone on a cell phone when I am riding. I am thinking that the HS 400 series may be the way to go. As far as quality of the general product goes, is it useable in your opinion? I understand that wind speed and other noise go a long way to hampering sound.

Old 05-26-2009, 07:11 PM
sailnjay
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Eh45
As far as quality of the general product goes, is it useable in your opinion? I understand that wind speed and other noise go a long way to hampering sound.
I would say it's very usable. I use mine anytime I'm riding any distance at all. I wear a half helment and can hear fine even at highway speed. I've used both the half helment headset and ear pads on the half helment. I would rate sound quality as fair but its music while I'm riding. The microphone is suprisingly clear.

My only complaint is there are lots of wires. If you want something that is easily removable you can put the unit in a small magnetic tank bag and just connect a 12v plug. I did this with the MIT 100 on my wifes bike.

I hope that helps. If I can help any other way let me know.

Old 05-26-2009, 07:38 PM
HDUltraRider
Banned

Originally Posted by Eh45
I am looking to find a way to communicate with a rider on a different bike, or my wife when she is on the back using a headset of some type. What I picture in my head is a headset that will have two speakers that mount in a helmet, and either a boom mic or a mic that can fit in a full face helmet. I am thinking that it would be nice if it would work with Midland or Motorolla 2way FRS or GMRS radios that I already have. With this in mind I would like to use a PTT button, or use the PTT on the radio.
What I picture is a setup that would be reasonably priced enough that other people in our group of riders could buy them for occasional use, then we could be on the same 2-way channel so we could keep in contact. Any advice would be great.

Thanks.

Have you looked at the Cardo Scala Riders Yet, check them out and don't forget your 10% forum discount using HF10 coupon code and free shipping on all orders over $100.00.

http://shop.techncyclegear.com/produ...4&productId=43

Old 06-13-2009, 10:53 PM
TX-South
Cruiser

http://www.imcmoto.com/products/harl...rophone-4.html

Has anyone tried this helmet mic setup? I'm wondering if the sticky tape holds up on the side of the helmet. I have a HD rider mic boom etc, but I dont have a passenger one for the wife.

Last edited by TX-South; 06-13-2009 at 11:38 PM.