Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Do you leave the battery tender on?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 08:11 AM
Ram
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've thought that the tender was to "set it and forget it", hence I leave it on 24x7 unless taking bike out for a ride.

Old 04-05-2009, 08:16 AM
HDUltraRider
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IF it is in the garage it is plug in to the tender, figure can't hurt can only help and only take a second to plug in.

Old 04-13-2009, 11:08 PM
TX-South
Cruiser

Be careful with lead acid batteries and the battery tenders. ( I have a Tender JR ) I leave my bikes off the charger. I rotate them through the charger once every two weeks if I dont ride it that week to keep the batteries topped off. I think its a bad idea to keep a constant charge on a battery if its not needed. Some bikes with alarms will drain it and more frequent charging is good but if the battery is holding the charge for more than a week, a constant charge is not needed and may promote corrosion depending on weather conditions, moisture etc.

Case by case I guess is my main point. Down here, the ride season is year round so its rare I dont start them at least once every two weeks.

Old 05-15-2009, 08:54 AM
utrvp
Tourer

I don't disagree with any of the comments here but just want to add my experience to the equation. I too used a battery tender religiously for a few years. About three years ago my battery tender went up. Since then I have not used any type of battery tender or charger on my bike. I have the HD security system with the smart siren. While I ride year round layoffs of 4 weeks or more are not uncommon during the winter months. I have never had any trouble with my battery going down on me. I admit I should probably be using a battery tender and may buy one before next winter but obviously the alarm system, clock and whatever else may continue to operate when the switch is off do not put any substantial drain on the battery. I believe a battery tender is absolutely unnecessary in the spring summer and fall months even if the bike may set a few weeks now and then. In the winter months especially if your not riding at all you probably should leave the battery tender on but so far I am getting along fine without it.

Last edited by utrvp; 05-16-2009 at 01:01 PM.
Old 05-15-2009, 10:59 AM
RCB
Road Warrior

Always on except when riding.

Old 05-15-2009, 11:07 AM
ko4qc
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I leave mine on all the time....gonna have to buy a few more extension cords so I can ride farther...

Old 05-15-2009, 11:09 AM
pugs
Tourer

On all of the time.

Old 05-15-2009, 02:13 PM
1984Ironhead
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Unplug to ride....and plug it back on when sitting in the garage...Its funny how evertime she takes a bit of a charge (yellow lite) and then Green & charged.

Old 05-15-2009, 08:21 PM
woodworking1
Road Master

I have had my bike( 1999 883/1250 )for 8 years and have never had it on a tender and it starts every time I push the button. It sometimes sits for more than a month at a time during the winter without being started and I have never had a problem with it not starting.
I know it goes against every post in here, but if it ain't broke.....
My wife's bike is another story, It NEEDS to be on the tender if it is not run at least once a week. I should probably replace her battery.
John

Old 05-28-2009, 11:50 PM
RE AND CHERYL
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TX-South
Be careful with lead acid batteries and the battery tenders. ( I have a Tender JR ) I leave my bikes off the charger. I rotate them through the charger once every two weeks if I dont ride it that week to keep the batteries topped off. I think its a bad idea to keep a constant charge on a battery if its not needed. Some bikes with alarms will drain it and more frequent charging is good but if the battery is holding the charge for more than a week, a constant charge is not needed and may promote corrosion depending on weather conditions, moisture etc.

I don't think you understand how the Battery Tender works. Don't get the Battery Tender confused with a normal trickle charger that runs all the time or is on a timmer. the battery Tender monitors battery voltage and ONLY chanrges the battery if the voltage drops to a programed voltage. If it does the charger comes on and charges the battery until voltage reaches a programed voltage, it then turns off and the cycle repeats. Therefore the BatteryTender will NEVER overcharge a battery and it will never charge a battery that does not need charged.

I have a 4 bank Battery Tender and keep both bikes and my ridding mower on it during the winter, and if I have any batteries (car, bike, etc) that are not currently installed, they are on it too.

Re'

Quick Reply: Do you leave the battery tender on?