Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

wiring spots to stay on with high beams

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 10:44 AM
OLD 96
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,302 Likes on 931 Posts
Default wiring spots to stay on with high beams

Am thinking I aint the first one to ask this. 2007 Ultra. I would like for my spots to stay on with high and low beams. What do I need to do to make that happen? TIA.

Old 02-10-2009, 04:23 PM
Mohntonite
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BUMP UP , causeId like to know as well.

Old 02-10-2009, 06:38 PM
evil_monster
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you will look at the schematics, you see a yellow wire from the power source, through the fuse to the headlight switch LOW BEAM selector then to the switch to the lights. you need to find the wire for the high beam and tap into that. Run that through a diode to provide power to the switch as well. This will still allow your switch to turn on and off the spots, but it will provide power from the factor low-beam wire but also not through the high beam wire. the diode will allow current to flow TO the switch...but not back. Back would cause the high beam and low beam to become connected when the hi lo switch is flipped

Old 02-13-2009, 09:30 PM
DGlide04
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Old 02-16-2009, 07:49 PM
evil_monster
Advanced

go buy a diode. more than 5 AMP. you will see a silver ring around on end. Open your headlight bucket...stick this end into the connector where the white wire is. Stick the other end into the yellow wire. Start your bike! Alli esta! High beam..workie!!! Low workie! Passing lamp..ALWAYS WORKIE! Passing lamp switch..WORKIE! Problem..solved! Cost..about a few bucks and 10 to 15 minutes. you can just JAM this in there...and slap a piece of tape on it..ir a bead of solder...that liquid electrical tape..or if you're feeling a little beered up.. just lick it with your toungue

Old 02-20-2009, 06:41 PM
FLTR2008TRIKE
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by evil_monster
go buy a diode. more than 5 AMP. you will see a silver ring around on end. Open your headlight bucket...stick this end into the connector where the white wire is. Stick the other end into the yellow wire. Start your bike! Alli esta! High beam..workie!!! Low workie! Passing lamp..ALWAYS WORKIE! Passing lamp switch..WORKIE! Problem..solved! Cost..about a few bucks and 10 to 15 minutes. you can just JAM this in there...and slap a piece of tape on it..ir a bead of solder...that liquid electrical tape..or if you're feeling a little beered up.. just lick it with your toungue

That was a funny post on how to do it

Old 02-20-2009, 08:45 PM
evil_monster
Advanced

Originally Posted by FLTR2008TRIKE
That was a funny post on how to do it
hehe...sometimes it pays not to be TOO technical

Old 03-07-2009, 10:37 PM
evil_monster
Advanced

In case anyone is still looking for this information...here's what I did this afternoon. My bike APPARENTLY wasn't initially sold in the US. According to the schematics - there's no running lights on front or rear and no fender lights on the 2000 FLSTC. The wiring diagram shows a blue wire for domestic bikes. This wire is running lights and also goes to the headlight bucket as well as the front turns for running lights. It also goes to the left hand controls. Follow the left hand control cables down to the neck. I used a razor and created a slit in the black cable housing. Then I put a wire and a wire tap on the blue wire. For the spots..remove the connector from the spot switch...it's a yellow wire which is HOT for low beams. Now..the blue wire you just tapped into...add a connector and put that where the yellow wire was on the spot switch. I have some pics if needed.

Old 09-29-2010, 04:51 AM
Watch Guy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default I know it has been a while since you posted this

Originally Posted by evil_monster
In case anyone is still looking for this information...here's what I did this afternoon. My bike APPARENTLY wasn't initially sold in the US. According to the schematics - there's no running lights on front or rear and no fender lights on the 2000 FLSTC. The wiring diagram shows a blue wire for domestic bikes. This wire is running lights and also goes to the headlight bucket as well as the front turns for running lights. It also goes to the left hand controls. Follow the left hand control cables down to the neck. I used a razor and created a slit in the black cable housing. Then I put a wire and a wire tap on the blue wire. For the spots..remove the connector from the spot switch...it's a yellow wire which is HOT for low beams. Now..the blue wire you just tapped into...add a connector and put that where the yellow wire was on the spot switch. I have some pics if needed.

But could you please send me a pic of how you did this wiring job?
Thanks
Tim

Old 09-29-2010, 02:27 PM
peppi
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Watch Guy
But could you please send me a pic of how you did this wiring job?
Thanks
Tim
This should show you how.

Last edited by peppi; 09-29-2010 at 05:17 PM.

Quick Reply: wiring spots to stay on with high beams