Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

wiring spots to stay on with high beams

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 03:34 AM
Watch Guy
Stellar HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Just so I have a take on this

Originally Posted by peppi
This should show you how.

I cut one of the yellow wires coming off the headlight to the passing lamp switch and then splice it into orange/red lead coming from the fusebox to the accessory switch?
Does that pretty well sum it up?

Old 10-08-2010, 11:14 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

that is correct. it took me a matter of 10 minutes to do this mod and I LOVE IT..

Old 10-09-2010, 03:32 AM
Watch Guy
Stellar HDF Member
Default thanks for the tip

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
that is correct. it took me a matter of 10 minutes to do this mod and I LOVE IT..
The passing lamp switch remains the controller as well right?

Old 10-09-2010, 08:42 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

Yes sir that is correct. Basically what you're doing is adding the accessory switch inline with the circuit which allows you to maintain the pass lamp switch as well as adding the functionality of using the accessory switch to turn the lights on or off as you see fit.

Old 10-14-2010, 09:23 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

forgot to mention.. once this is connected as shown, when you turn the accessory switch off, the lights function as they would stock meaning the pass lamps will still function on low beam as they normally would but not on high beam. When you turn the accessory switch on, it feeds power to them all the time so they stay on with high or low beams...

Old 10-16-2010, 03:34 AM
Watch Guy
Stellar HDF Member
Default Thank you

Your info is greatly appreciated.

Old 10-19-2010, 01:48 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

watch guy.. i'm sorry I mistated something. the location of where you tie into the accessory switch dictates whether the spots can be turned off and on with high-beam on using the accessory switch. Most will wire it as shown above which ties the spots in before the accessory switch so the accessory switch has no function and you can still turn the spots on and off with the spot switch. If for some reason you want the ability to turn the passing lamps off and on with the accessory switch (really don't see the point) then you can take the yellow wire coming from your spot switch and wire it to the orange wire ont eh accessory switch instead of the orange/red wire. Sorry didn't mean to confuse you if I did...

Old 10-22-2010, 03:56 AM
Watch Guy
Stellar HDF Member
Default Thanks, you didn't confuse me at all

watch guy.. i'm sorry I mistated something. the location of where you tie into the accessory switch dictates whether the spots can be turned off and on with high-beam on using the accessory switch. Most will wire it as shown above which ties the spots in before the accessory switch so the accessory switch has no function and you can still turn the spots on and off with the spot switch. If for some reason you want the ability to turn the passing lamps off and on with the accessory switch (really don't see the point) then you can take the yellow wire coming from your spot switch and wire it to the orange wire ont eh accessory switch instead of the orange/red wire. Sorry didn't mean to confuse you if I did...
I started out confused long before I began tinkering with wires.

Old 10-22-2010, 08:49 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

ok let me make it easy for you.

the yellow wire that goes from the passing lamp switch to the headlamp connector, simply cut it, tape up the end that goes to the headlamp connector, tie the remaining yellow wire to the orange/red wire on the accessory switch and you're done.

Old 10-23-2010, 04:46 AM
Watch Guy
Stellar HDF Member
Default Thanks bud, I was trying to be funny

ok let me make it easy for you.

the yellow wire that goes from the passing lamp switch to the headlamp connector, simply cut it, tape up the end that goes to the headlamp connector, tie the remaining yellow wire to the orange/red wire on the accessory switch and you're done.
Your original instructions were all I needed. having said that, I'm usually in a mild state of confusion.
Thanks again

Quick Reply: wiring spots to stay on with high beams