Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

intermitan starting problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 11:56 PM
elect.glide
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default intermitan starting problem

i have an 89 flhtc that has an intermitant starting problem. it started last year. i took it to the harley shop and they replaced the regulator and stator,i rode it 20 min. and went out and it would'nt start. i took it back and they replaced relay and cercuit breaker. it ran for a couple weeks and then would'nt start.then was told i needed a h.d. battery so replaced that ran for a month and then it would'nt start. this year i clean all the cable connection at the battery and starter, it started for 2 months and then it would'nt start, next i replaced the starter button it worked for 2 weeks and got to sturgis and it acted up again. when it wont start you hear it click at the relay. if i continue to hit the starter button sometimes it will start or you can push start it. could it be the starter or solinoid is bad?
'
'

Old 08-12-2008, 07:18 PM
prc1333
Tourer

I don't know what the problem is for sure. My guess would be battery. Does it sit for a long time between rides. Battery terminals are tight? I know dumb question, but gotta ask. Maybe there is something shorting out or something is draining the battery, or it isn't being charged. It has to be charge or draining power somehow. If you kept it on a battery tender all the time and it continues starting well, that would prove something? Right?

Old 08-12-2008, 09:46 PM
elect.glide
Stage II

thanks for your suggestion but the battery tests out with a full charge.

Old 08-13-2008, 03:05 PM
gs34doc
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Received 895 Likes on 633 Posts

I'd put my money on the solenoid. When you hit the start button have a meter on the solenoid and verify that you are getting full voltage there. If you are, and it is not energizing the starter, then the solenoid is the culpret.

Old 11-20-2008, 06:45 PM
flyboyziel56
4th Gear

I don't know if you ever gotthe problem resolved?, But i had the same problem with my 91 FLHTC. Went to 3 different shops and of course they all said Charging, Regulator, Stator, Battery, Starter, Solenoid, Relay, Ect, Ect.!!!. Well none of the above were the cause. Ready for this???. It was a simple connection on a Breaker!!!. I bought a Service Manual from the dealer and located the wireing diagrahm. I traced down the wires and found in back of the headlight bracket 4 breakers. The wire that comes the start switch goes down to this breaker that ties to the ignition wire. It had been coated with white powder ( Possible corrison ) from moisture. I removed the positive battery connection to prevent shorting something out and removed each and every wire to clean it up and when I replaced each wire into it's proper place I coated it with dielectric grease ( Silicon ). I reconnected the battery and it started up and has never missed a beat. Now make sure that there is no problem with the charging, or starting system. Make sure the battery does not fail a load test and it's charging at least 14.2 to 14.7 volts. Something so simple could cost not only hundreds of dollars ( Speaking from experience ), but also a lot of down time. An investment in a manual is priceless!!!. Remember check your connections first before throwing a crap load of parts at it!!!. Hope this helps and I'm not to late. SEEYA!!