Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Nothing When Ignition Switch is On

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2024 | 07:45 AM
$tonecold
|
Club Member
Riders Club Member

To summarize the situation: The battery is new and putting out 13.06 v. The bike doesn't connect when the ignition is turned on. No dash lights, no instruments active, no head, running, or taillights. There is 13.06 v at the hot side of the main fuse and the fuse is good, as are all the other fuses. The maintainer lead hot side is 13.06 v if grounded to the bike with the ignition on or off, but reduces to 3.26 v if the maintainer lead ground side is used. The security antenna connection is around 9 volts on the hot side, but it is also 9 v on the ground side. If the maintainer is hooked up with the ignition in the on position, the dash lights will flash intermittently and the cooling relay clicks intermittently. The fob has a new battery that is 2.9 v. The bike also has a security alarm on it, which hasn't been activated by any of this.

I would really like to know if this is the BCM before I spend $500 on a new one, as I am sure once purchased it is mine, no return. Are there other checks that can be performed on the BCM?

Old 08-08-2024 | 09:01 AM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

I’m grasping at straws here, but did you remove each fuse, particularly the ECM fuse and the battery fuse, and check continuity with your meter?

Old 08-08-2024 | 10:08 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

Originally Posted by $tonecold
The maintainer lead hot side is 13.06 v if grounded to the bike with the ignition on or off, but reduces to 3.26 v if the maintainer lead ground side is used.
There should be no difference in voltage whether you use the ground in the battery maintainer connector or grounding the meter directly to the negative battery post.

I would disconnect the ground wire connections at the frame, clean and reinstall (more cheap easy stuff).

Have you pulled the Battery Power connector at the BCM and checked voltage at the connector?

Any chance the ignition switch connector is unplugged?

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 08-08-2024 at 10:42 AM.
Old 08-08-2024 | 10:26 AM
$tonecold
|
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Originally Posted by GalvTexGuy
I’m grasping at straws here, but did you remove each fuse, particularly the ECM fuse and the battery fuse, and check continuity with your meter?
No, but I checked both sides with a grounded test light.

Old 08-08-2024 | 10:33 AM
$tonecold
|
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Originally Posted by Dan89FLSTC
There should be no difference in voltage whether you use the ground in the battery maintainer connector or grounding the meter directly to the negative battery post.
That is kind of what I was thinking. When I get home I will check the wiring diagram to see how that is connected. The battery is making a good ground, there is no difference if I ground to the battery ground or the bike. If the maintainer is running through the BCM, then I would suspect there may be a problem there. I also think the black wire side of the security antenna shouldn't be hot. That comes from the BCM and returns to the BCM. I would believe the black wire should be dead.

Old 08-08-2024 | 10:36 AM
im
Seasoned HDF Member

Is the negative battery cable terminal tight at battery and also the other end?

Old 08-08-2024 | 10:47 AM
pgreer
Stellar HDF Member

There have been several report of bad connections on the main fuse that were intermentent. I don't recall if it was the connector the fuse goes into, or the wire at the connector.

Based on Dan's suggestion of pulling the fuse, have you tried wiggling the fuse while check the voltage? And tyhe same for the wiring to the fuse connector.

Paul

Old 08-08-2024 | 12:33 PM
$tonecold
|
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Originally Posted by im
Is the negative battery cable terminal tight at battery and also the other end?
Yes it is tight at the battery and I didn't disconnect it at the frame terminal. I am getting 13.06 volts whether I ground at the battery negative post or ground to the frame or engine.

Originally Posted by pgreer
There have been several report of bad connections on the main fuse that were intermentent. I don't recall if it was the connector the fuse goes into, or the wire at the connector.

Based on Dan's suggestion of pulling the fuse, have you tried wiggling the fuse while check the voltage? And tyhe same for the wiring to the fuse connector.

Paul
I will check that to make sure there is a good connection on the main fuse. I'll have to check the wiring diagram to see where it connects in the system.

Old 08-08-2024 | 07:40 PM
WONKEY
Road Warrior

These bikes have multiple grounds, not just battery ground. You need to verify everyone of them, make sure they are clean and/or connected. Did you forget a plug or wire somewhere when putting it back together?

Old 08-08-2024 | 09:55 PM
$tonecold
|
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Originally Posted by Dan89FLSTC
I found that the ground side of the maintainer connection has 7.38 volts going through it. Tracking it down on the schematic, it goes to ground #2. I don’t know where that is located on the bike, but it may be a place to start.

I would disconnect the ground wire connections at the frame, clean and reinstall (more cheap easy stuff).

Have you pulled the Battery Power connector at the BCM and checked voltage at the connector?
I will do this Saturday when I have some time.

Any chance the ignition switch connector is unplugged?
No

Quick Reply: Nothing When Ignition Switch is On