Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Serious Wiring Problems: 2007 Fat Boy

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2022 | 03:06 PM
SneakyBastard
|
Intermediate

Ignition module should be here tomorrow or Tuesday, says USPS tracking....

Old 09-07-2022 | 01:43 PM
SneakyBastard
|
Intermediate

Ignition module came in yesterday. Same exact part number. Looks brand new.

Hooked it up, still no spark. Found the final irritating short from the horn button to the harness. Orange/White wire is grounding somewhere in the handle bars. I just cut the wire, taped it off. Deal with that one later.

Now.

All the lights are working. Installed a starter relay since my wiring diagram showed it needed one. Surprise, surprise. The wires that were cut and hanging there were the exact ones I needed to install the relay! No more mystery wires!

I still have no spark.....

Checked the ignition sensor pickup assembly. Seems to be functioning.
I have 3 coils here. Tried all three, still no spark.

Here's what I can tell you.

With the switch on (ignition) I check the bottom connection and top connection with multimeter. Red lead on bottom connection (White/Black wire connected, Pink wire disconnected) black lead on top (Pink wire disconnected) and I get straight voltage. 13.8 volts.

The Black wire coming from the Ignition Module. When I connect it to ground, I get 0 volts to the Pink wire when turning it over. When Black is NOT connected to ground, I get 7-9 volts.
While Black is grounded, it does NOT read any voltage across the to points on the coil. I.e.: Testing the voltage by placing red lead to bottom post on coil, W/B wire, and black lead on top post, P wire, I get no reading of voltage when turned on or while starting.

How do I check if coils are good? Is the black wire supposed to be connected to ground?