Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Serious Wiring Problems: 2007 Fat Boy

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2022 | 12:21 PM
eighteight
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Rounders
It has 5 screws, evos 3. Not sure if after market primary or somehow mated TC to Evo.
Don`t think answering that ^ will fix the electrical issues....

The following users liked this post:
SneakyBastard (08-24-2022)
Old 08-24-2022 | 02:59 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

Originally Posted by eighteight
It doesn`t matter, he just wants to post (no matter how clueless), just read some of the threads he has posted in.

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 08-24-2022 at 03:06 PM.
The following users liked this post:
SneakyBastard (08-24-2022)
Old 08-24-2022 | 04:51 PM
SneakyBastard
|
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Rounders
It has 5 screws, evos 3. Not sure if after market primary or somehow mated TC to Evo.
Lol... thanks for the help so far, guys. I have ordered another ignition module which is gonna take a couple of weeks to get here. Ebay takes forever.
Any suggestions on a decent aftermarket ignition system? I see a lot of them advertised, like Screamin Eagle, Dynatek, Daytona, Ultima....I can't really afford S&S (should be called $&$) so i try and steer clear of them, for now.

And would i be looking for a single fire or dual fire setup? What's the difference?

Old 08-24-2022 | 05:06 PM
SneakyBastard
|
Intermediate

As for the 5 bolt Derby cover... this from the HD website:

"Fits ’99-’00 Evolution® 1340, ’99-’17 Dyna, ’99-'18 Softail (except FLSB) and ’99-’15 Touring and Trike models (except FLHTCUL, FLHTKL or ’07-’15 Touring or Trike models with Narrow-Profile Outer Primary Cover P/N 25700385 or 25700438)."

I've been digging and searching for anything to identify my engine. After about 2 hours on the HD Service Portal website, it appears to be a 1999 Evo. 97-98 had the 3 screw derby and a different primary plate (the little one to the left of the derby). The valve covers and primary cover are identical to mine on the 99 Evo.

Last edited by SneakyBastard; 08-24-2022 at 06:02 PM.
Old 08-24-2022 | 06:04 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by SneakyBastard
Lol... thanks for the help so far, guys. I have ordered another ignition module which is gonna take a couple of weeks to get here. Ebay takes forever.
Any suggestions on a decent aftermarket ignition system? I see a lot of them advertised, like Screamin Eagle, Dynatek, Daytona, Ultima....I can't really afford S&S (should be called $&$) so i try and steer clear of them, for now.

And would i be looking for a single fire or dual fire setup? What's the difference?
What did I miss? If you ordered an ignition module, why are you looking for an aftermarket system?

Old 08-24-2022 | 06:10 PM
SneakyBastard
|
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Dan89FLSTC
What did I miss? If you ordered an ignition module, why are you looking for an aftermarket system?
Lol... you missed nothing, Dan. The part i ordered is an exact replacement of the one i have. Used. OEM. Thought it might be nice to upgrade/update the parts.
Ebay is going to take 2 weeks to get here. I could probably have an aftermarket here in 2 days.... I'm just asking questions is all.
If I'm bugging you guys, just say so and I will bow out. I did not mean to waste your time.

Old 08-24-2022 | 07:17 PM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member

Cause I thought he might be curious to learn what he has.

What of suggestion of reading instructions for ignition module, and getting rid of cam sensor?

Old 08-25-2022 | 07:30 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

No, you are not wasting my time, did not mean it that way, I am more than happy to try and help.

I just installed a Dyna ignition system on my `89 Softail, it was a very easy install (uses stock ignition coil).

Dyna Ignition

Old 08-25-2022 | 06:56 PM
SneakyBastard
|
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Dan89FLSTC
No, you are not wasting my time, did not mean it that way, I am more than happy to try and help.

I just installed a Dyna ignition system on my `89 Softail, it was a very easy install (uses stock ignition coil).

Dyna Ignition
Thank you. I am just trying to figure out the best options here. This bike used to be so beautiful. Ran great, sounded sweet.... and in about 1 year, he turned it into a mess. I can make it beautiful again. But he also tweeked on stuff I can readily see. I'm truly praying he didn't tweek on anything I can't see. The oil was black, changed it out. Have to replace the 2 shocks under the frame and weld in some 5/8" round steel to repair the parts lost.

Lol.... It really is sad to see a nice bike go to **** because of just plain ignorance, you know?

I will wait for the ignition module to get here, and in the meantime, fix as much of the cosmetics and visible repair work as I can while I wait.

I have a new set of 5 gallon Fatboy tanks that i am going to replace the current 3 1/2 gallon tanks with. New mirrors, since one of them is just flopping about.

If i have time, i may as well paint the tanks and fenders. Polish everything.....

But once the ignition module gets here, then i will make sure everything is mechanically sound and then look into an updated ignition system.

I appreciate all of your time, Dan. I will keep you updated and hopefully you can point me in the right direction for the new parts..

Thanks again.

Old 08-30-2022 | 06:52 PM
SneakyBastard
|
Intermediate

Lol.... so I wake up this morning and guess what I find on my trailer in the front yard.....

Believe it or not, this releived a lot of Stress for me...lmao

Quick Reply: Serious Wiring Problems: 2007 Fat Boy