Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Fuel Pump Fires but no Start

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2021, 12:03 AM
EZREIDR
Intermediate
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Fuel Pump Fires but no Start

'08 Fat Boy - The bike is bone stock aside from new grips, fuel crossover hose, air filter (oem) spark plugs/wires and throttle cables.

I pulled the fuel tank and did a handlebar swap, reusing the original switches/cable harness. Everything is back together and the lights all come on with the Ignition switch. When I hit the run switch, I can hear the fuel pump turn on. Pressing the start button does nothing, no clicking even.

DIAG Check - Run Switch OFF:
P: none
S: none / PN 68925-07
SP: none / PN 67033-08
T: no rsp
B: no rsp

DIAG Check - Run Switch ON:
P: none / PN 32919-07A (???)
S: none / PN 68925-07 (Security Module?)
SP: none / PN 67033-08 (Speedometer?)
T: no rsp
B: no rsp

There are no trouble codes but there are some part numbers showing in the diagnostics check and I can't find any information on what that means.

Old 06-28-2021, 01:33 AM
Zanthamos
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 431 Likes on 360 Posts

P= ECU S=TSM/HFSM SP=Speedometer T=Tachometer b=ABS. If you don't have a module or it isn't turned on then a "no resp" will be shown.

First things first, are the turn signals flashing? If so where is the FOB? Next things next check your wiring job, are the wires from the right hand controls back to where they are supposed to be especially the start switch wires? Check the connector, are there any recessed pins? Check the switch housing, are there any pinched wires? Loosen the master cylinder and the switch housing and attempt to start. Does the starter spin?

Old 06-28-2021, 07:05 AM
Cobra1
Road Warrior
Veteran: Air Force
Received 1,296 Likes on 529 Posts

It’s kinda acting like it thinks it’s in gear so no start.....

Old 06-28-2021, 10:04 AM
EZREIDR
Intermediate

Zanthamos,
Thanks for the tips. The turn signals are not flashing with the ignition on. The Key Fob is in my pocket and the engine light / key light on the dash turn off after a few seconds.

I'll bet it's the wiring. Those Molex connectors looked problematic. I pulled the pins as far forward as possible with needle nose but they didn't always want to stay there. I have the screws tightened down pretty good so I'll check that as well.

Thanks

Old 06-28-2021, 01:27 PM
Zanthamos
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Cobra1
It’s kinda acting like it thinks it’s in gear so no start.....
'08 models will start in gear, it wasn't until 2012 on up that the clutch switch and CAN-Bus systems were used that you can no longer start them in gear.

Old 07-03-2021, 08:39 PM
EZREIDR
Intermediate

checked the connectors today and they look good. No recessed pins and the two halves click together good. I loosened the mast. cyl. and switch housings no luck. reset the ecu by pulling the battery negative and reassembled everything with a little dielectric grease but still no luck and same pn codes come up. I think I'll call the dealer next week and see if they can test the bars assembly if I pull it from the bike.

Old 07-04-2021, 06:23 PM
EZREIDR
Intermediate

I think I found the problem.

I probed the fuse panel and control board wiring with my multi-meter. There was no control voltage getting to the starter relay from the start switch. I opened up the control housing and checked at the input to the switch and the voltage was good with the kill switch on. Then I checked for voltage on the output side with the start switch pressed. No voltage!

Hopefully the dealer can sell just the one switch. I'll check on Tuesday.

Old 07-06-2021, 11:33 AM
Zanthamos
Outstanding HDF Member

It'll be the pair, Run/Stop and Start switches together PN 71684-06A.

Old 07-06-2021, 01:16 PM
EZREIDR
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Zanthamos
It'll be the pair, Run/Stop and Start switches together PN 71684-06A.
copy that. thanks.

Old 07-11-2021, 08:08 PM
EZREIDR
Intermediate

UPDATE:
Installed the new switch today and the bike fired right up! I took it for a ride around the block a couple times and aside from spongy front brakes after the master cylinder rebuild, It ran perfectly.

I checked the codes again just to see if the part numbers went away and found two ECU problem codes. 0131 and 0151 low voltage - 02 sensors.

The part numbers are still there so I have to assume that this is normal and not related to problem codes. I could be wrong but the bike seems to be running fine.

Quick Reply: Fuel Pump Fires but no Start