Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Harley won’t start, no power except for horn & instrument

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2021, 02:52 AM
streetbobfxdb07
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Harley won’t start, no power except for horn & instrument

Hi guys & girls
been reading some of the forums on Harleys with no power but battery is good, well mine is doing the exact same thing no power at all except for horn & klm gauge alarm key flashes and that’s it. I have changed battery, changed maxi fuse, checked all fuses still FA power. Any suggestions would be helpful cheers

Old 05-20-2021, 09:18 AM
Zanthamos
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 431 Likes on 360 Posts

OK, first things first year and model. Secondly does this have the button-less alarm FOB? Is the battery in the FOB good (>2.9VDC should be around 3.2VDC)? As this is a similar sounding issue to the security system is tripped.

The following users liked this post:
Redoilokie (05-20-2021)
Old 05-20-2021, 11:28 AM
streetbobfxdb07
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Zanthamos
OK, first things first year and model. Secondly does this have the button-less alarm FOB? Is the battery in the FOB good (>2.9VDC should be around 3.2VDC)? As this is a similar sounding issue to the security system is tripped.

it’s a dyna street bob 2007, FOB is wireless no bottoms on it. Yes it has a new battery, it does sound like security system issue

Old 05-21-2021, 12:33 PM
Zanthamos
Outstanding HDF Member

First thing I would look at is the HFSM antenna and ensure that it is plugged in fully on both sides of the small cable. This will be located under the right side panel below the seat
next thing would be to check for DTCs. With the run/stop switch set to run, hold the trip button then turn on the ignition, the speedometer lights should all come on, the needle should sweep and then odometer should show DIAG release the trip switch and PSSPb should show. Hold the trip switch to select one of the letters to see the code, short press the trip switch to cycle the code and it should show PN:XXXXXXXX at the end of each selection (this is the software part number for each item, P is ECM, S is the TSM, SP is the speedometer and b is the ABS). Once you get back to the PSSPb just short press the trip to cycle to the next letter. The codes will be in a format like this P0123, U0123, B0123. Record each code that comes up, this'll tell us more about what is going on with the bike. If a part has failed or is not on ex. ABS control on a bike without ABS would show no aRESP on the b area, if the run switch is not on no RESP will show on the P selection. If there are no codes it will show Clear on the odometer. You can clear the codes by long pressing the trip when in each of the selected systems.

Old 05-21-2021, 04:47 PM
streetbobfxdb07
6th Gear

First thing I would look at is the HFSM antenna and ensure that it is plugged in fully on both sides of the small cable. This will be located under the right side panel below the seat
next thing would be to check for DTCs. With the run/stop switch set to run, hold the trip button then turn on the ignition, the speedometer lights should all come on, the needle should sweep and then odometer should show DIAG release the trip switch and PSSPb should show. Hold the trip switch to select one of the letters to see the code, short press the trip switch to cycle the code and it should show PN:XXXXXXXX at the end of each selection (this is the software part number for each item, P is ECM, S is the TSM, SP is the speedometer and b is the ABS). Once you get back to the PSSPb just short press the trip to cycle to the next letter. The codes will be in a format like this P0123, U0123, B0123. Record each code that comes up, this'll tell us more about what is going on with the bike. If a part has failed or is not on ex. ABS control on a bike without ABS would show no aRESP on the b area, if the run switch is not on no RESP will show on the P selection. If there are no codes it will show Clear on the odometer. You can clear the codes by long pressing the trip when in each of the selected systems.
I don’t have a trip switch on my handle bars or hand grips because everything is custom WillyG accessories, I have tried everything I possibly can with what I have. I am now thinking it could be the power commander attached to the ECM or I need another ECM

Old 05-22-2021, 06:00 AM
Zanthamos
Outstanding HDF Member

Remove the PC and reconnect the ECM to the main harness. Trip switch should be located on the left side of the instrument console, it would be weird to remove it.

It is most likely your FOB or the HSFM has failed.

Old 05-22-2021, 06:03 AM
streetbobfxdb07
6th Gear

Remove the PC and reconnect the ECM to the main harness. Trip switch should be located on the left side of the instrument console, it would be weird to remove it.

It is most likely your FOB or the HSFM has failed.
ok will try it tomorrow, thank you heaps for your help, really appreciate it

Old 05-22-2021, 07:33 AM
NODYNA
Road Warrior
Received 873 Likes on 516 Posts

Check to be sure the fob battery is installed correctly. I've seen this happen several times replacement battery installed upside down.

Old 05-22-2021, 08:15 AM
d_slat
Road Warrior
Received 637 Likes on 325 Posts

Also make sure there's no plastic film on the fob battery.

Old 05-22-2021, 07:15 PM
streetbobfxdb07
6th Gear
Default Jack

Well I have absolutely tried everything I was told to do and more except getting a new Fob and Jack comes up. I say Jack cause everything I try Jack **** happens. Looks like I will be spending hundreds of dollars from Harley to find out what’s wrong with the piece of ****. I truely thank those who helped me I really appreciate your help.

Quick Reply: Harley won’t start, no power except for horn & instrument