Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

All-weather USB Power Port Install HD Touring

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2021, 11:05 PM
Shovels_Chains
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Default All-weather USB Power Port Install HD Touring

A Tri Glide joined my stable for reasons that I won't go into.
Task one was to install all-weather USB power ports.
Since I own 3BR Powersports the choice of which USB ports to install was simple although I do have a couple of options.
I decided wanted the features of our Gen5 TAPP all-weather USB power port but since it is not available as a panel mount I will use one of our Panel Mount Adapter. This adapter allows any USB power port to be converted to panel mount. I designed this adapter for a dealer who serves the light aircraft market but it has become a favorite of tournament anglers and powersports users.

3BR Powersports USB Panel Mount Adapter can be used with any USB power port
I wanted to configure the ports on the Tri Glide differently than I did with my Street Glide where I put one port in the cigarette lighter hole. In this case I want to keep the cigarette lighter port to power high current devices like an air pump. Here's what I came up with:

One USB port on each side of the console

USB Powerports with Seal Caps in place
Installation took a couple of hours most of which was removing & replacing the fairing and cleaning difficult to reach places while the fairing was off.
I used the cigarette lighter wiring as it has more than enough current carrying capacity for one USB power port (about 1.5A)
1. Since the USB port was to be mounted on the left and the cigarette lighter is on the right I traced the wire bundle to the main harness on the left
2. Open up the loose cable jacket to expose the cigarette lighter wires. Brown/black tracer is 12VDC and Black in GND
3. Install a Posi-TAP on each wire
4. Find a good place to mount the Gen5 TAPP. There is a flat spot on top of the radio mount that was perfect. I secured it with 3M VHB tape. Tip for anyone doing this: remove the label from the TAPP or the VHB will pull it off allowing the TAPP to fall free.
5. Cut the harness short on the TAPP and strip the two wires
6. Connect the TAPP to the wire harness using the Posi-TAPPs.
Install left Panel Mount Adapter
1. From the front, locate and drill a 7/8" hole.
2. install the Panel Mount Adapter from the back of the panel.
3. Tighten the Panel Nut.
Note that I also installed a RAM ball for mounting my SPOT tracker at this time.
4. Install a TAPP CAPP on the Panel Mount Adapter Cable
5. Plug the Panel Mount cable into the TAPP
The TAPP CAPP will provide a weatherproof seal and keep the cable secured to the TAPP
Here's what the TAPP looked like Installed

On the RIGHT SIDE
Note that I remove that big chunk of rubber from my Glides. It is a waste of space.
1. Drill a 7/8" hole in the dash door. I wanted the hole to be located as high as possible so the Panel Mount Adapter didn't interfere with the 2-port hub. In retrospect I wish I had installed it lower as it prevents the door from opening all the way.
2. Install the Panel Mount adapter and tighten the panel nut.
3. Plug in the 2-port USB hub
4. Plug Panel Mount Adapter into the hub.
5. In my case I have my tunes on a USB thumb drive. That goes into the other port of the Hub
6. Stuff everything back into the dash box and close the door.

Some pics of the completed setup

I'm not a big fan of f attaching a phone to my bike. This is from my Adventure riding days. If I get pitched off my bike I want my phone with me not on the bike.
..but here's how it could be setup