Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Super Cool Guy Here

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2021, 04:15 PM
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

When ignition is on i have .4 volts at 87....when I hit brakes it goes up to 10 volts.... I have 10 volts at that white din connector 48... and less when I hit the brakes.

Old 05-04-2021, 12:44 AM
Zanthamos
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 431 Likes on 360 Posts

Looks like you really need to look at that wiring under the tape, you are getting power when you shouldn't and this is a back feed power coming from the rear harness side if you are getting power at 87 without hitting the brakes, you should have 0 without the brakes applied and 12VDC (or close to battery voltage) if the relay is installed if you are getting power without the relay in and you are testing at the socket then that'll tell you which side to look at. I would give the tail light harness a good once over under the fender as well, you may have a connection between the running lamp wire and the brake lamp wire that you shouldn't have.

Old 05-04-2021, 12:56 AM
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Zanthamos
Looks like you really need to look at that wiring under the tape, you are getting power when you shouldn't and this is a back feed power coming from the rear harness side if you are getting power at 87 without hitting the brakes, you should have 0 without the brakes applied and 12VDC (or close to battery voltage) if the relay is installed if you are getting power without the relay in and you are testing at the socket then that'll tell you which side to look at. I would give the tail light harness a good once over under the fender as well, you may have a connection between the running lamp wire and the brake lamp wire that you shouldn't have.
Ok thanks again Zan

Old 06-02-2021, 08:55 PM
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Zanthamos
I got some time to look at it again...

The power at that connection 87 is coming FROM the Electronic Cruise module. When I disconnect that then there is no power at my 48 connection. My cruise control isn't hooked up anyway. As far as I can tell I dont need anything from that module to operate my bike. I could just remove the whole thing.

I also started to wonder how big of a deal is it? The voltage present when it shouldn't be is 10 volts but it wont even light up a test light.

When I've been doing these tests everything attached to the rear of the bike has been disconnected because thats where my short is coming from. So it's not even part of the equation right now.

I dont think there is any wiring going to that Module other than this plug 8. So I'm guessing that the only time that wire pulls power is when it and some others are connected to the module...otherwise its just dead.

Last edited by 0003; 06-02-2021 at 10:25 PM.