Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Friggen Starter

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2019, 08:14 PM
SPYDERMANN22
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Friggen Starter

I have a 02 Electraglide Shriner with a starter issue.
The issue started with a pause after hitting the start switch. Hit the start switch, hear the click then a short pause and then the starter kicks in. This was intermittent and the pause got longer until one day it just clicked without starting. Of cource miles from home and needed a flatbed to get it home. The selenoid never engaged again on it's own.
I replaced the Relay, cleaned all of the ground wire connections & rebuilt the selenoid. I added a push button on the selenoid while I was at it. Still click click but the button got me by while I looked it over about a dozen more times.
I finally replaced the starter which worked like a champ...for a while.
This is all since March.
The last couple of days I have had the pause happen a few times, I fear the issue is coming back to haunt me.
Like I stated, I replaced the Relay with one from the local HD dealer.
Cleaned any ground wire connections that I could find - didn't find any unusual corrosion.
New Drag Specialties Starter - made by Alls *****, I did add my button to the new starter for insurance.
Motor is the original 88 with a 95" kit, high compression pistons & heads and a pile of other go fast goodies..

Any ideas?

Old 07-15-2019, 08:19 PM
chief08
Road Master
Received 210 Likes on 107 Posts

how about the battery?

Old 07-15-2019, 08:32 PM
SPYDERMANN22
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chief08, thanks for the quick reply and great point. I forgot to mention, New Duracell battery too, another hondo invested. The Stator was looked at last year by a mechanic - too deep for my liking but I should check the voltage. I will do this right now.
Battery checked 12.88V so I believe Stator & Battery are good.

Last edited by SPYDERMANN22; 07-15-2019 at 09:19 PM. Reason: added note
Old 07-15-2019, 10:09 PM
Screamin beagle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,072 Likes on 2,036 Posts

Got compression releases on the bike? Maybe the higher compression is kicking the starters *** over the long haul? Maybe get releases or try a high torque starter? I'm no expert just throwing out some ideas...hope you find the answer...hate when my bikes acting up and I can't diagnose it

Old 07-16-2019, 10:50 AM
skinman13
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 234 Likes on 169 Posts

I am running a very high compression engine without releases and I have not had any problems with starter drag since I determined that the aftermarket battery I had installed was dropping below 11 vdc when the start button was pushed and I replaced it with a new MoCo battery.

Old 07-16-2019, 10:58 AM
EVOrider
Stellar HDF Member
Received 278 Likes on 203 Posts

I highly recommend the push button that mounts onto the starter. It completely bypasses the handlebar switch and relays.

My 1998 FLHTCUI does the same thing you’re describing. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t. If it doesn’t work....the push button always works.

Old 07-16-2019, 11:06 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,948 Likes on 4,144 Posts

It's the replacement starter solenoid. Unless it came new from Harley. However, even a rebuild usually has a junk switch.

What does a DC voltmeter show when hitting the start switch? Below 9.6 means a junk worn-out battery or connections. Could even be the crimp of the lug on cable. Especially on something that old.

If you hear a soliniod click but no crank, it is brushes , or the starter commutator insulation too high and not undercut from wear on copper. Of course, you need to look at the soliniod contacts and starter commutator.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 07-16-2019 at 11:21 AM.
Old 07-16-2019, 11:10 AM
skinman13
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 234 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by EVOrider
I highly recommend the push button that mounts onto the starter. It completely bypasses the handlebar switch and relays.

My 1998 FLHTCUI does the same thing you’re describing. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t. If it doesn’t work....the push button always works.
I do not understand this logic. How is putting another switch in parallel to the starter circuit fixing a problem? There is not that much current flowing in the control circuit and starter switch and relay problems are not all that common. Also, if you are having circuit problems with the starter circuit, there are probably circuit problems elsewhere that will cause other problems eventually. Besides, you can accomplish the same thing with a jumper wire if you are experiencing a problem.

This is like old school thinking from back in the days of unreliable starters with kick start backup. It has a cool WOW factor, but it is not necessary or beneficial in the long run.

Old 08-01-2021, 09:27 AM
RevenantDescent
Cruiser
Received 74 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by skinman13
I do not understand this logic. How is putting another switch in parallel to the starter circuit fixing a problem? There is not that much current flowing in the control circuit and starter switch and relay problems are not all that common. Also, if you are having circuit problems with the starter circuit, there are probably circuit problems elsewhere that will cause other problems eventually. Besides, you can accomplish the same thing with a jumper wire if you are experiencing a problem.

This is like old school thinking from back in the days of unreliable starters with kick start backup. It has a cool WOW factor, but it is not necessary or beneficial in the long run.
There's lot of "fixes" and diagnosis supposedly coming from Harley Davidson about this issue, with many reps saying this fix comes straight from mother base.

1. Bad right hand control module
2. Starter replacement
3. Flash BCM with hot fix

4. In my case- was told my entire electrical harness was bad and needed to be replaced due to how it has many pinch points
5. Etc
I love this bike but dislike the poor communication between mother base and the techs learning to diagnose and fix these things

Old 08-01-2021, 09:47 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,378 Likes on 4,993 Posts

This thread is dead...

Start a new thread and give some specifics as to your issue.

Quick Reply: Friggen Starter