Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

GPS / Phone Charge WIring

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2019 | 10:48 AM
B-RAD22
|
6th Gear
Question GPS / Phone Charge WIring

Hello,

I want to be able to mount a typical car GPS on my handlebars for those long trips. The TOM TOM I have has a cigarette lighter plug (please note i have a waterproof case and mount hardware). Does anyone know what wiring harness I can buy to hook this into the electrical and the best place to tie this in?

I do want it to look neat and hidden if possible (not have a cigarette lighter receptacle mounted on the handlebars). Is there a way to eliminate the cigarette lighter receptacle and wire it in some other way? I don't mind cutting the GPS cord to re-configure.

My model is a 2016 Road King.

Thanks,
B-RAD22

Old 04-03-2019 | 11:17 AM
Vernal
Club Member
Riders Club Member

B-RAD22 welcome to the forum from Utah!

Under the left side cover you should find connector 4A, P&A Accessory at the top of the drawing. HD sells a harness you can connect to it and have switched power.

Here's a link you can see the Harness:
https://www.harley-davidson.com/stor...dapter-harness

Old 04-04-2019 | 12:52 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

You can make your own harness, just use a matching connector to fit the one under the left side cover, there are 4 wires in the connector.

Black is ground.

Red/Blue is power unswitched (always on).

Violet/Blue is power when ignition switch is on.

Light Blue/Green is power, controlled by the switch on the right side of the nacelle (ign switch must also be on).

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 04-04-2019 at 01:23 PM.
Old 04-06-2019 | 03:24 PM
B-RAD22
|
6th Gear

Thanks for the info, this actually helps me with another problem that I have.

I installed warmer grips. When i wired them in worked but would not turn off when the initiation was shut off, so this would burn out my battery in the garage. Your post explains why. I did plug in an extension to the plug you have shown in the pic so I can connect under the seat. However my wires are different colours. I will try and get it sorted out and let you know how it works.

Thanks again, appreciate the help.

Old 04-06-2019 | 05:41 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member

Do not cut a GPS cord.
Many GPS are actually 5 volt and the plug converts 12 + volts to 5+ volts for GPS operation.
Cutting the plug can fry the unit.
On the other hand a USB is 5 + volts and with correct cable the GPS could operate from a step down USB receptacle that is smaller and more easily hidden.
For example a fused USB outlet could be tapped into the accessory wire in headlight nacelle then come up and be hidden under handlebar out of sight when not required.
The use of posi lok brand tap would keep things clean and not require any cutting of wires.
This would the allow you to have a powered USB available for phone or gps power.
If you are concerned with the small amount of electrical draw when not used then come out of nacelle with a fused SAE plug (tender type plug) instead and that will allow you to have power available for whatever...then go with sae to cigarette outlet, sae to usb or whatever.
Coming out of nacelle with an SAE would probably be the most universal.
Since power is coming from nacelle then power is only available with ignition ON..no worry about dead battery due to unit remaining ON.

Old 04-07-2019 | 08:33 AM
B-RAD22
|
6th Gear

Thanks for the advise. I will not cut the wire and take out the cigarette connection.

So there is a connection in the nacell that I can connect into? Any idea what it looks like?

Old 04-07-2019 | 09:51 AM
Hammerhead Pat
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by B-RAD22
Thanks for the advise. I will not cut the wire and take out the cigarette connection.

So there is a connection in the nacell that I can connect into? Any idea what it looks like?
On my FLHR the orange wire with the white stripe is your switched power source, I'd start there if you find that o/w wire....

Old 04-08-2019 | 09:08 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

There is no wire in the nacelle that you will connect to, you will wire up a connector that will plug into the existing connector under the left side cover.

You can then run these wires anywhere you choose.

I have done this on my 2016 Road King.

The service manual will tell you what type of connector you need.

Don`t cut or tap into any wires on the wiring harness, the factory provided this connector so that you don`t need to alter the original wiring.

This isn`t you fathers Oldsmobile (you may be too young to remember that commercial).

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 04-08-2019 at 09:17 AM.
Old 05-03-2021 | 10:27 AM
eddie31770
Tourer

Originally Posted by Hammerhead Pat
On my FLHR the orange wire with the white stripe is your switched power source, I'd start there if you find that o/w wire....

What year FLHR? I have a 2018 and am looking to see which cord to tap for switched power source

Old 05-03-2021 | 12:39 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by eddie31770
What year FLHR? I have a 2018 and am looking to see which cord to tap for switched power source
What type of device are you wanting to power?

Avoid tapping into wires, there is always a better way...

Quick Reply: GPS / Phone Charge WIring