Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Wattage Capacity

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2019 | 09:11 AM
Eric T Holmes
|
Stage I
Default Wattage Capacity

I have a 2014 Vrod Muscle. My 1 year old battery died. I keep my bike on a tender when i am not riding. I took it out for about an hour ride and stopped to a restaurant and came out and it would not start. I jumped it off and drove the 30 min ride home. I then shut it down and tried to restart it and it again would not start. I took it to the dealer and he said that the battery can not hold a load for my Scorpio SR-i900R Security System, Daymaker LED headlight, and my Kuryakyn RoadThunder Speaker Pods. I had a hard time believing that because I know several bikes with more electrical accessories than I do and they are not having that problem. Is there something that I can do to use my accessories and not kill my battery? A capacitor maybe??? Would a relay make a difference? I can't find too much info on line. Any advice would be appreciated.

Old 04-02-2019 | 09:38 AM
ColdRain
Cruiser

45 Amp Stater comes standard on that bike I think. I dont believe the mods you have on your bike would drain the battery like that. DO you live in a cold climate and left battery in the cold garage? Cheap battery? Headlight and speaker pods would run while bike is running. Only thing would be parasitic voltage consumption from security system. But you said that you rode home and tried to restart and it wouldn't. Charging system properly checked out?

Old 04-02-2019 | 11:35 AM
skinman13
Outstanding HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

He is telling you that your charging system cannot recharge your battery AND run all the power hogging accessories you have installed. Also, if you ride regularly (you live in Florida, right?) you do not need to keep it on a tender. That can cause problems also. I live on the Gulf Coast and ride every time the weather permits and I have had problems when I kept batteries on a tender between rides.

Old 04-02-2019 | 04:17 PM
Vernal
Club Member

Hey Eric welcome to the Forum from Utah.

If the battery is the original then it may be it's just old and worn out Take it out of the bike charge it up and get it load tested. Next clean the battery cables and grounds.
If you're handy with a voltmeter start the bike up and check the voltage across the pig tail where your tender plugs in, you should see close to 14V. Then start turning things on and see if the V drops. Running down the road my Limited stays right at 14V. If it does start to drop check the stator output and continuity to ground.

I put my bike up last fall, probably mid November and yesterday got our first ride.First time it was started in over 4 months and no problems. Our bikes are on a Battery Tender whenever they are in the garage and we have original batteries.

Good Luck

Oh and to answer you question "what Wattage", 1W = 1V x 1A so if you have a 45 Amp system, (12V x 45A), max would be 540 watts. YMMV, because there is a lot of other things you need to factor in

Last edited by Vernal; 04-02-2019 at 04:23 PM.