Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Left Turn Signal Button Activates High Beams?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2019 | 01:11 AM
MadMensch
|
Novice
Default Left Turn Signal Button Activates High Beams?

Hi all,

I'm trying to help a friend install new handlebars on his bike and ran into some complications. I started a thread on it yesterday which you can read HERE. I solved the problem from yesterday and now ran into yet another issue.

The issue we're having now is when we activate the left turn signal the high beam comes on LOL. My guess is that my friend incorrectly pinned the socket housing for the left turn signal when he put the housing back together and swapped the pin for the high beam with the pin for the turn signal. Does this sound correct?

The only other wild card factor is the front turn signals are not connected because we need to buy a new terminal housing for that since it broke. But I don't think just having the front turn signals unplugged would cause this issue. Just hoping to confirm the issue here.

Any advice on this is appreciated.

Old 03-14-2019 | 07:35 AM
fordhd2005
Road Master

There's definitely a wire crossed.. Many years ago I did a handlebar swap on a RK. Got it back together and the start button honked the horn and the horn button started the bike. I don't remember the colors of those wires but they were very similar and just enough dirt to cause the confusion.

Old 03-15-2019 | 02:43 PM
M1chael
Advanced
Default Aux lights?

Not sure what the bike is, but the left turn signal switch on my 2019 street bob has two functions. When pressed on the left side it activates the left blinker. When pressed on the right side (again.. of the left turn signal switch) it activates the auxiliary lights. Of course, I don't have any auxiliary lights on my bike, but a red dot on my LED display screen illuminates whenever I activate it to tell me they're "on".

Perhaps when wiring up the highbeams, they were accidentally connectcted to the auxillary light switch?

Old 03-16-2019 | 01:46 PM
Vernal
Club Member
Riders Club Member

pin 4 should be W high beam and pin 5 turn signal W/V. Sounds like those pins are reversed.