Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Possible bad starter

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2019, 08:19 PM
ksimo32
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible bad starter

Hello! I have a 1989 sportster 1200. I had it running last summer but every now and then I would hit the starter and the starter would whine but not actually turn the engine over. After trying a few times it would eventually turn over and start the bike. Once it was warm, it would have no problem starting after.

Now after having it sit all winter, I go to start it and the same thing happens only this time, it does not eventually start and only makes that whining sound. My guess is that the starter motor has finally gotten weak and is not strong enough to turn the engine over. I plan on selling this so I can upgrade to a bigger bike so I would like to get this running with minimal repair cost. I did do some trouble shooting:

- First checked the battery. Seemed pretty new but seemed like the charger was not charging completely. After 24 hours of charging, the battery read about 13 volts on standby (not sure if thats normal). When I hit the starter the voltage dropped to 8.3 volts. I figured ok maybe weak battery. I get a new battery of the same type and same whining sound.
- I thought the engine seized up or was stuck. I put it in gear and rocked back and forth. Same issue. I removed the spark plugs thinking something with the compression holding it back and the starter turns the engine no problem. I replace the spark plugs and it wont turn again. I remove one spark plug and it still wont turn. I take both out again and the starter turns it no problem.
- I have not checked the starter relay at all. I can hear the relay click and the starter motor going so I assume its working fine.

I have a link to a video of the whining sound.
As I said, my guess is the starter just finally going and cant overcome the compression.Any feedback would be very helpful. Wanted to get some opinions before I attempt to replace the starter or take it to a shop.

Thanks!

Old 04-03-2021, 06:32 PM
Earl Nosis Bruce
6th Gear

so did you ever figure out what was wrong

Originally Posted by ksimo32
Hello! I have a 1989 sportster 1200. I had it running last summer but every now and then I would hit the starter and the starter would whine but not actually turn the engine over. After trying a few times it would eventually turn over and start the bike. Once it was warm, it would have no problem starting after.

Now after having it sit all winter, I go to start it and the same thing happens only this time, it does not eventually start and only makes that whining sound. My guess is that the starter motor has finally gotten weak and is not strong enough to turn the engine over. I plan on selling this so I can upgrade to a bigger bike so I would like to get this running with minimal repair cost. I did do some trouble shooting:

- First checked the battery. Seemed pretty new but seemed like the charger was not charging completely. After 24 hours of charging, the battery read about 13 volts on standby (not sure if thats normal). When I hit the starter the voltage dropped to 8.3 volts. I figured ok maybe weak battery. I get a new battery of the same type and same whining sound.
- I thought the engine seized up or was stuck. I put it in gear and rocked back and forth. Same issue. I removed the spark plugs thinking something with the compression holding it back and the starter turns the engine no problem. I replace the spark plugs and it wont turn again. I remove one spark plug and it still wont turn. I take both out again and the starter turns it no problem.
- I have not checked the starter relay at all. I can hear the relay click and the starter motor going so I assume its working fine.

I have a link to a video of the whining sound.
https://youtu.be/c208sBg-Co0
As I said, my guess is the starter just finally going and cant overcome the compression.Any feedback would be very helpful. Wanted to get some opinions before I attempt to replace the starter or take it to a shop.

Thanks!

Old 04-03-2021, 06:34 PM
Earl Nosis Bruce
6th Gear
Default Same problem

Hey did you ever get ur bike up n running I have the same problem on my street glide

Old 04-03-2021, 08:33 PM
Riffraff123
Road Captain
Received 298 Likes on 160 Posts

Earl: Bad battery, bad ground, bad cable, bad starter clutch, bad compensator...check them all. A service manual will become best friend! Follow procedures to the letter and it'll work every(most) of the time.
For those other "most" times, get on here and ask in the forums. That has worked well for me too. Just ignore the idiots.

Old 04-04-2021, 06:11 AM
bustert
Grand HDF Member
Received 792 Likes on 693 Posts

sounds typical of the starter clutch failing. it is a sprag clutch so it free wheels one way, aka, when the engine starts and locks up the other way, aka, when turning the engine over.
https://www.jtscycleparts.com/drag-s...s-xlh-21100010

Old 04-04-2021, 09:53 AM
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,307 Likes on 6,747 Posts

If it's the starter and you are planning on selling, you may want to consider a rebuilt sold at some Indy shops.

Old 04-04-2021, 10:57 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 9,425 Likes on 5,020 Posts

Originally Posted by Earl Nosis Bruce
Hey did you ever get ur bike up n running I have the same problem on my street glide
You are asking for help from a one hit poster who is long gone.

Tell us exactly what your issue is, and the model and year of bike.

Old 04-04-2021, 11:10 PM
Earl Nosis Bruce
6th Gear
Default Won’t start

2014 Street Glide
Was about to go out for a ride bike started up fine backed out my drive way let her run for bout 3-4min n realized, I for got my smokes shut her down n when I came back turn the ignition on went to start and she would start to turn over and then just a loud clicking. After a couple try’s wouldn’t even turn over just loud clicking from starter area, thought maybe battery put the jump box on it and it did same, so assumed it was probably the starter borrowed my friends off his 14 Street Glide to test it and same thing, so I decided to charge the battery took the starter n Battery to autozone tested both and both Tested good.
I just got a Starter Relay yesterday and plan on going threw cleaning all the grounds and battery cables both ends then go thru the fuse box pulling, checking & cleaning the fuses and replacing the starter relay tomorrow morning, I’ve been told that even if the battery passed it still could be bad so debating on getting a new or the relay doesn’t work.

Old 04-05-2021, 07:51 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 9,425 Likes on 5,020 Posts

Forget about swapping batteries and using jump starters, they are just a distraction.

Charge your battery and have it load tested, if it is over 3 years old don`t even bother testing it, just replace it.

You are on the right track with cleaning all battery cable connection points, the current must have a clean path from the positive battery post all through the circuit back to the negative post, positive and negative sides are equally important.

Slow cranking is not a symptom of a start relay, besides, that bike doesn`t have a starter relay...