Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

New 1 wire blinkers to 2 wire bike (no flash)

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2018, 05:40 PM
RapidRoy99
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 1 wire blinkers to 2 wire bike (no flash)

This is probably a dumb question but I know very little to do with electrical.

I bought these blinkers for my 99 fxstc,
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Chopper-Bobb...T-N4X7UH32y5Ik

..and they have one wire. When I connect the lamp wire with the positive on the bike and then ground the blinker on the bike the light will come on but does not flash.

Can anyone tell me why they will not flash? I can try to provide more info if needed.. I'm fairly certain the original blinker is one filament and the new ones are also one filament.

Old 12-15-2018, 03:59 PM
RapidRoy99
Advanced

anyone? unfortunately they cannot be returned

Old 12-16-2018, 09:34 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Much 'electrical' stuff is actually mechanical! In the case of your lights they use that one wire for power, and rely on a ground return through the light body and other bike hardware, to complete the electrical circuit. I suspect you need to use that single fitting screw to add an extra wire, using an eyelet, then secure the other end to a suitable point on your bike, such as an existing ground fixing point.

Old 12-16-2018, 09:42 AM
TSheff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,417 Likes on 1,585 Posts

If it.s the flasher it has to go through the FLASHER relay. Any 12v bulb will light when it has proper power and ground. The circuit needs a switch, relay, power, and ground. If its LED it also needs the proper resistor.

Old 12-16-2018, 12:47 PM
RapidRoy99
Advanced

Originally Posted by TSheff
If it.s the flasher it has to go through the FLASHER relay. Any 12v bulb will light when it has proper power and ground. The circuit needs a switch, relay, power, and ground. If its LED it also needs the proper resistor.
Here's a couple photos showing what it looks like, as you can see the old light has the two wires coming out and the new light only has one. I've connected the new wire to purple and grounded the signal light to the bike and hit the signal light switch and it causes the front and rear signal light to come on but not flash.

< Shown here

Old 12-16-2018, 01:06 PM
TSheff
Seasoned HDF Member

Try grounding it to the ground wire from the original light (the 2nd wire). Then if that didn't work hook up the old and verify it works, perhaps the new bulb, does not draw as much as the original (1156) you may still need a resistor.

Last edited by TSheff; 12-16-2018 at 01:10 PM.
Old 12-16-2018, 01:10 PM
RapidRoy99
Advanced

Try grounding it to the ground wire from the original light (the 2nd wire). Then if that didn't work hook up the old and verify it works, perhaps the new bulb, does not draw as much as the original (1156) you may still need a resistor.
thats what i'm doing in the video, the old one is the first to ground in the video, then i do the same thing with the new and it just comes on.

Last edited by RapidRoy99; 12-16-2018 at 01:13 PM.
Old 12-16-2018, 01:13 PM
TSheff
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by RapidRoy99
thats what i'm doing in the video
OK I read grounded to the frame - did you try the new light gounded to the origina; signal light ground?

Old 12-16-2018, 01:18 PM
RapidRoy99
Advanced

OK I read grounded to the frame - did you try the new light gounded to the origina; signal light ground?
at first when the new light was still attached to the signal light body i grounded to the bike (fender rail) then i tried it like shown in the video, where i have the old attached to the purple and the new attached to the purple wire, then i take the old and touch it to the black wire and it blinks, then i take new and touch it to the black with and it comes on solid

Old 12-16-2018, 01:22 PM
TSheff
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by RapidRoy99
at first when the new light was still attached to the signal light body i grounded to the bike (fender rail) then i tried it like shown in the video, where i have the old attached to the purple and the new attached to the purple wire, then i take the old and touch it to the black wire and it blinks, then i take new and touch it to the black with and it comes on solid
OK simple test - bulbs only - do the 1156 which obviously work, wires straight to bulb and it will blink. do the same with the new bulb, if it comes on and does not blink, there is not enough resistance to operate the flasher. Do you have a Digital volt meter?

Quick Reply: New 1 wire blinkers to 2 wire bike (no flash)