Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Mystery electrical part.

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2018 | 08:36 PM
COHarleyGuy
|
6th Gear
Default Mystery electrical part.

I am a total noob when it comes to Harley but I know when I have met my match with wiring, so I am reaching out for some assistance. I bought a '97 Softail that needed some love and care. I did notice that there weren't any turn signals either front or rear on the bike as well as the brake light not working either. I opened up the wiring and have found TONS of junk wiring that doesn't appear to go anywhere. I am adding turn signals and brake light back to the bike and ran across the following part that I believe is a turn signal cancel module but I am not sure as there aren't any sticker or part numbers listed on it. I am attaching pictures to see if someone can help me out. I am also needing to know the possible wiring schematics to connect it correctly as I am not too sure things are connected correctly. Any help would be much obliged.

Color wires out of the mystery box:
Red -
Purple -
Gray -
Black -
Green -
Yellow -
Brown -

Old 09-21-2018 | 10:55 PM
mmesa005
Ultimate HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Here is the wiring and electrical troubleshooting manual that covers your bike.

https://serviceinfo.harley-davidson....%3D1997+wiring

The following users liked this post:
COHarleyGuy (09-26-2018)
Old 09-21-2018 | 11:09 PM
mmesa005
Ultimate HDF Member

Is the black box still wired and if so are the colors of the wires it is connected to the same or different? Spliced connections or through an actual connector?

Old 09-21-2018 | 11:12 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member

Looks like a load equalizer of some kind for custom lights, I'd trace the wires to see where they go.

Campy Roadie (09-22-2018)
Old 09-21-2018 | 11:19 PM
COHarleyGuy
|
6th Gear

Originally Posted by mmesa005
Is the black box still wired and if so are the colors of the wires it is connected to the same or different? Spliced connections or through an actual connector?
Currently, the wires from the box are still connected but they don't all go to the same color wires. They are connected via splices and terrible electrical tape jobs. If I can figure out what this box does, I will solder the wires and apply heat shrink labels for future troubleshooting if needed. I will be tracing back all the wires because whoever did this hack job to the wire harness, they used different color wires and connected to a harness that doesn't match any of the 1997 FXSTC manuals that have wire diagrams. Not sure even if the hand controls are stock, could have been replaced with some knockoff that didn't follow same colors. Guess I am going to have to tear into it all and trace back each wire 1 at a time.

I am still interested in what that box is though.

Old 09-21-2018 | 11:21 PM
COHarleyGuy
|
6th Gear

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Looks like a load equalizer of some kind for custom lights, I'd trace the wires to see where they go.
That is what is so strange, there isn't any custom lights, just a headlight.

Old 09-21-2018 | 11:32 PM
mmesa005
Ultimate HDF Member

If the wiring is that bad it may be worth considering purchasing a complete harness from a salvage bike, usually available on eBay? Or a new harness from a company such as NAMZ?

Old 09-23-2018 | 08:59 PM
bustert
Grand HDF Member

i do not believe it to be hd. if you trace the wires, let us know what you find. it could be an aftermarket combiner.
moons past, combiners were popular especially so when lighting was a free for all. i have used them in the past and one brand was hoppie, rarely see them anymore. i am talking primarily automotive but i have seen mc ones on the market. one such application was when your vehicle and trailer did not match up as an example.

Old 09-24-2018 | 11:16 AM
Zanthamos
Outstanding HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force

Looks like an aftermarket Turn Signal Module.

Old 09-26-2018 | 09:47 PM
COHarleyGuy
|
6th Gear

Welp, I went ahead and chopped out all the garbage and started from scratch. Turns out that the right and left controls are aftermarket Chinese junk and not stock HD or anything that follows the HD wiring coloration. I scrounged around and found wires close to the same shades used and rewired EVERYTHING. I also removed the circuit breakers and installed a fuse block to help troubleshoot in the future. I ended up cutting out and tossing that weird block which I believe to be a turn signal cancel module that didn't work and installed a new one. Everything works! Just waiting on new front turn signals to arrive in the next week or so to finish things up.

What a pain in the *** to go back and re-add all new turn signals, and electrical just because someone thought it would be awesome to remove it all. Thanks, everyone for the links for the electrical stuff, that has and will come in handy in the future.

- Jeremy

TwiZted Biker (09-26-2018)

Quick Reply: Mystery electrical part.