Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Mystery electrical part.

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2018 | 09:03 PM
Vipers Harley
Road Captain
Default Old post I know

Originally Posted by COHarleyGuy
I am a total noob when it comes to Harley but I know when I have met my match with wiring, so I am reaching out for some assistance. I bought a '97 Softail that needed some love and care. I did notice that there weren't any turn signals either front or rear on the bike as well as the brake light not working either. I opened up the wiring and have found TONS of junk wiring that doesn't appear to go anywhere. I am adding turn signals and brake light back to the bike and ran across the following part that I believe is a turn signal cancel module but I am not sure as there aren't any sticker or part numbers listed on it. I am attaching pictures to see if someone can help me out. I am also needing to know the possible wiring schematics to connect it correctly as I am not too sure things are connected correctly. Any help would be much obliged.

Color wires out of the mystery box:
Red -
Purple -
Gray -
Black -
Green -
Yellow -
Brown -

I think it's a 5 wire to 4 wire converter for trailer or other lights

Old 12-30-2018 | 02:33 PM
Down South
Seasoned HDF Member

I know this thread is about a week old but what that looks like to me is a 4 wire to 3 wire converter for brake and signal lights. I've installed a couple of them in the past on foreign trucks that had separate brake and turn lights to convert to a trailer that had common stop and turn bulbs.
I had to go look for one since it's been a while since I have installed one.
4 Wire to 3 Wire Converter 4 Wire to 3 Wire Converter
But what I don't understand is why one would be on a Harley. Just a guess if I'm correct on the box...Maybe he was pulling a trailer that had individual stop and turn lights and was using it in reverse order? Second thought, that would't work. It would only activate both turn and brake lights on the trailer at the same time, brake and turn. Mystery to me....

Last edited by Down South; 12-30-2018 at 03:03 PM.