Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

New battery questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2018 | 02:18 PM
sammer4u
|
Tourer
Default New battery questions

I have a 2015 Ultra Classic with the original battery. I installed a Dynojet Power Vision a year ago and have started using a multi line gauge reading and one line was the battery voltage. Never really paying too much attention to it until this summer... I noticed one day it was a bit hesitant to start, but started. I noticed the voltage dip down on the actual bike gauge and slowly up to 14. So I then started to watch the volt reading on the PV device, and it was fluctuating between 13.9 and 14.0. I thought this was about right as I normally saw the bike gauge at 14... the same day as I came to stop lights it would dip down to 13.6 and lower but would bump up to 13.9 with a twist of the throttle or go when the light allowed me to go. Thinking that the batter might be getting weak after 4 seasons, I bought a new Deka battery and installed it Thursday. I am noticing about the same thing. However so far no hesitation on startup, but the voltage on the PV reading is stating while running 13.9-14.0. Does not really drop much more than 13.8 that i noticed today while riding.

I know a few threads are just ride it and forget about it... but i am more curious if this is right or is there something going on that i am not aware of?

I keep the bike on the battery tender while not riding and all winter (living in WI I am forced to not use the bike from November till May). The old battery is sitting off to the side and i just checked it with a volt meter and it reads 12.9... and it has not been charged since removed from the bike on Thursday.. so I am almost assuming the battery was still fine? But switching out the battery in my mind was still a good thing. Which is why it leads me to wonder if something is wrong.... or am i letting the PV numbers get to me and I should just ride it and not worry as others state?

If i recall correctly my truck will be around the upper 12's.. and when running it is getting slightly over 14... do not recall the number... so i can only assume the bike is good to go and it is one of those too much information is not a good thing situation...

I am sure I will get some heat, but am looking for some serious feedback.

TIA

Old 07-29-2018 | 04:48 PM
mmesa005
Ultimate HDF Member
Veteran: Army

If your worried and want piece of mind why not give Cycle Electric a call in the morning? I doubt they will want to sell you something you don't need and help you check to see if your charging system is in good health?

http://www.cycleelectricinc.com/

Old 07-31-2018 | 08:19 AM
Crotonrz
Cruiser