Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Funny Headlight Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2018, 10:27 AM
Mike Lawless
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 487 Likes on 326 Posts
Default Funny Headlight Problem

This is on a 2006 Deluxe with LED headlights and auxiliary running lights. These are hard wired into the high beams.

I haven't gotten into it yet, as it's sporadic. I was coming back from a longish ride and I noticed my high beam dash light was on. Rocked the switch back and forth, and it stayed on. Then it went out and came back on again. As I came up to a stop light, I'm looking at my headlight reflection on the back of the truck in front of me. It switched again and confirmed that my high beam was switching, so it just wasn't the indicator light on the dash.

By the time I rolled up to the house, it was back to normal. Rocked the switch back and forth and everything seems normal. It did once before, and it was so brief, I thought it was just my imagination.

The headlight bulb has some kind of relay hard wired to it. I have a spare, so I reckon I could swap it out.

Any other idears?

Old 07-28-2018, 08:17 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 9,404 Likes on 5,007 Posts

Normally, the low and high beam will only get their power from the switch, however if there is an aftermarket headlamp, with a relay, you will need to trace the source of power to that relay, and also trace where the power from the relay goes to.

Old 07-30-2018, 10:25 AM
Mike Lawless
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 487 Likes on 326 Posts

Thanks Dan
When I bought the headlight bulbs, they came as a pair (both with attached relays or). I haven't gotten into yet but I think I'll swap out the bulb first. It's really funny the way it acts, and it did it again this weekend at the tail end of a 150 mile ride. The last few miles, the high beams came on. I noticed that going from highs to lows on the switch dimmed the blue indicator light on the dash just a tiny bit. I was hoping it would stay that way. But again, as like last weekend, as I rounded the corner to pull up to my house, it all returned to normal.