Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Swapping around switches in the left housing.

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2018 | 02:10 PM
Hey Man
|
Seasoned HDF Member
Default Swapping around switches in the left housing.

Does anybody know if the positions of the dimmer switch and the horn button can be swapped in the left side housing? I'd like to have the Horn button be be located closer to the grip. Bike is 1993 FLSTC.

Last edited by Hey Man; 07-04-2018 at 03:35 PM.
Old 07-05-2018 | 11:03 AM
sparkalot
Road Warrior

Hey Man (heh I like being able to greet with that name)

I am 95% sure that if you took the housing apart, you would find that the 2 switches are mounted to a common base, therefore not swappable. I found a parts diagram for your 1993 FLSTC. and that is what it shows, see below. Even if the switches were seperated, I think you would find that the mounitng tabs inside the housing were totally different for each side, since one switch is a momentary contact switch(horn) and the other is a 2 or 3 position slide switch. I modified my left side control and ran into that. Here is a link to Ronnies Partd Finder partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.com/ronnies/showmodel.asp?make=hdmc

Old 07-05-2018 | 11:16 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Wink

Pull yours apart and take a look. If you can't swap the switches as you would like you may be able to turn the pair over. That will mean the high/low switch will be the wrong way up, but you can simply rewire it if you prefer. Let us know what you find!

Old 07-05-2018 | 11:57 AM
BelchFire
Club Member
Default Dang it!

Originally Posted by sparkalot
Hey Man (heh I like being able to greet with that name)

I am 95% sure that if you took the housing apart, you would find that the 2 switches are mounted to a common base, therefore not swappable.
<snip>
Here is a link to Ronnies Partd Finder partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.com/ronnies/showmodel.asp?make=hdmc
Thanks, sparkalot; that's a great link. Searching that same site shows my 2009 FXDC isn't swappable either. And that's too bad.

As many guys as complain about this, you'd think there would be an aftermarket switch module that could be dropped in. But then, that could open a Pandora's box of legal problems if someone had an accident.

I wonder how involved it would be to hack the switch somehow. Might just have to spring for a switch and see, if it's not too expensive.

Old 07-05-2018 | 03:43 PM
ABQ-Jammer
Ultimate HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force

There's an adapter that can be mounted to the grip that will make the horn button easier and quicker to push. There's a whole sales thread on it; (https://www.*****************/forums...saverhorn.html).

Old 07-06-2018 | 06:12 AM
BelchFire
Club Member

After thinking about the link that sparkalot posted, it occurred to me that the FXDC module might work as-is in your housings, or with a minimum of modification. The horn button is already on the left; at least on mine -- I assume they're all like that. It mounts up differently, but it wouldn't have to be swapped or hacked in any way, except to find a way to mount it in your housing. Maybe you guys can find a safe, secure way to mount up an FXDC switch module and have the horn button on the left. Here's a link to the microfiche at Ronnie's: LINK

http://images.imagessite.com/OEM_IMA...HD09FXD037.gif

Here's a complete switch on E-Bay:
https://www.ebay.com/i/312164497003?chn=ps

Last edited by BelchFire; 07-06-2018 at 08:44 AM. Reason: adding link to image
Old 07-06-2018 | 08:54 AM
bustert
Grand HDF Member

never say never!
jpeg of the rear of the circuit board anyone?
if a man makes it, a man can break it or hack it in this case.
in days of old, switches carried the electrical load but with can, not any more. the ecu has drivers to do the job, cuts down on cost. so yes it is feasible to swap positions.

Old 07-07-2018 | 12:15 AM
sparkalot
Road Warrior

I modified my left control switches so that I could control some auxiliary LED driving lights (white strobes) that are mounted on the lower forks. I found (ebay) a police model left control but used only the bottom half of the clam shell. This gave me a an additional two momentary contact swithes. I use the red police "HORN" side to momentarily light the LEDs . The "SIREN" side is not used, but could be for anything elese I wanted to control from the left side. So I retained my stock black horn switch and it is used for my horn, but the added police switches gave me the ability to control the LED lights. So, YES , you can change and add switches to the controls without too much problem. All you need is some parts and a soldering iron. The insides of the switch housing castings are shaped to accept only certain switches, (IE a momenetary contact switch can not be swapped with a slide switch etc) You could swap the wiring by cutting and re wiring, then the slide switch would operate your horn. If you did that , Once you slide the switch over, the horn comes on and stays on until you slide it back to "neutral". A horn I think works best with a momentary conatct switch, but hey you never know LOL. Anyway I posted some pictures if that helps at all.