Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Question about battery tender-2017 Road King

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2018, 09:06 PM
pghguitar
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Question about battery tender-2017 Road King

I dont know a lot about electrical connections and if polarity matters, but figured i would ask here to see if anyone has an idea of what happened in this situation. I purchased a handlebar cigarette adapter that contained a battery tender end connector that i routed under the gas tank to the saddlebag alongside the battery tender connector. When i go on longer trips and need to charge my phone, i would connect the 2 ends, and plug a usb adapter into the cigarette adapter during the ride, then disconnect the battery tender ends when stopped to not run down the battery with something accidentally plugged in. The wire that came with the handlebar adapter was not long enough, so i had to cut off the battery tender end, and splice a longer cable on each end. This was working fine until i took a trip from Pittsburgh to Cleveland yesterday, when i arrived, i disconnected the 2 ends, but i ended up pulling the splicing apart when i disconnected them (i didnt solder the wires together). When i got home, i decided to solder the wires, and then when i went to test the USB adapter, i heard a "POP" that was accompanied by some smoke. I instantly thought that i blew a fuse (the adapter has one wired in at the handlebar), but the fuse was fine. I then tried another device ( a spotlight), which worked just fine ! I then wondered if the polarity of the connection mattered somehow for the USB adapter , but not the spotlight. I tried another USB adapter i had - got the same POP & smoke, but then tried it in my car cigarette lighter where it still worked, so i didnt completely ruin it . If anyone knows what happened here or what i did wrong - i would greatly appreciate it ! Also - the USB adapter worked fine for over a year after i installed it until yesterday - i didnt observe the polarity when i installed it but possibly i just got lucky.

Old 05-15-2018, 09:14 PM
rdm1465
Tourer

Received 1,023 Likes on 197 Posts

First, Yes, polarity does matter in this hookup. Based on what I think I understand that I read, Sounds like you have a short. I would first look at the area of where the pop and smoke is and work my way back. If you still did not get wiring long enough, make sure that at the minimum use barrel connector to splice the wires together. Nothing beats wiring that run the full length to the connector at the battery tender.

Old 05-15-2018, 09:32 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 30,789 Likes on 11,579 Posts

An incandescent light, such as your spotlight most likely is, doesn’t care about polarity. So, it was not a valid test of polarity. Also, if the fuse is not between the battery and where the short is, it won’t blow. Not knowing where your pop and smoke is, younli’ely have a shortvircyou wired it backwards. If you ever plan on doing any electrical work, orcchecking outvyour battery, get a digital multimeter. Then in the DC volts setting, put the + of meter to what you believe is the + of your wire, and then the same for -. If the meter reads a positive voltage, then you properly identified the positive wire.

Old 05-18-2018, 06:30 PM
pghguitar
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the feedback and advice - i will definitely pick up a multi-meter and check things out.

Old 05-19-2018, 10:26 AM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,574 Likes on 1,969 Posts