Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

FXDB won't start

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2018 | 10:01 PM
Roxtober
|
4th Gear
Default FXDB won't start

I have a 2017 FXDB and I switched out the stock bars for West Coast 12 inch T-bars. I unscrewed the positive wire from the battery and went to work. The uninstall of the handle bars went easy but the install of the new bars sucked.

Getting the internal wires through the bars took me 2 hours. In my desperation to get the control wires unstuck I used a little WD40 to lubricate the wires. Once I got the wiring through, they looked mangled and a little rough but the connectors were good to go. I wiped off the excess lubricant and plugged them in. I put the bike back together and reattached the battery cable.

Here's where it gets shitty: I turn the ignition switch to on and I hear the fuel injection do its thing but there is no power to the speedometer/instrument panel. My head light turns on, the tail lights turn on and the backlight for my fuel gauge turns on but nothing else. I went back through and double checked my connections. Everything is tight and the wires aren't pinched. I thought that the battery died and tried to jump it with my wife's honda but no help.

I plan to check the fuses tomorrow but I have to research how to get to the fuses. Other than a fuse being burnt out, is there anything else I should check for? I am 99% this an electrical problem and I know that I ****ed up using WD40 to get those internal wires through the bars. Is there anyway to fix this?

Old 04-27-2018 | 10:21 PM
Marlboroman1717
1st Gear
Default No no

You shouldn’t use your wife’s car to jump your bike. Use a battery charger for future dead battery issues

The following users liked this post:
Roxtober (04-27-2018)
Old 04-28-2018 | 11:59 AM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member

You can jump from a car battery but the car can't be running. Hope that was the case for you.
Your owner's manual will show where the fuses are. Just pull off the left side cover and you'll find them.

The following users liked this post:
Roxtober (04-28-2018)
Old 04-28-2018 | 01:11 PM
Roxtober
|
4th Gear

Originally Posted by nevil
You can jump from a car battery but the car can't be running. Hope that was the case for you.
Your owner's manual will show where the fuses are. Just pull off the left side cover and you'll find them.
Blew a fuse. Replaced it this morning and the bike has been running like a champ!!!

Old 05-06-2018 | 08:16 PM
Trey Taylor
4th Gear

Just curious about how you blew a fuse with the battery disconnected?

I'm worried that you may stripped the insulation off of a wire when threading them through the bars and when you hooked the battery back up it grounded out and popped the fuse hopefully that's not the issue but just in case keep some spare fuses on you and keep an ear out for sparking noises in the bars