Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

15 amp Instrument fuse keeps blowing on Crossbones

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 01:07 AM
10Bones
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 15 amp Instrument fuse keeps blowing on Crossbones

Hey Guys I need some help. After some pretty extensive work on my 2010 Crossbones, I saw that I had no neutral or engine “oil” light showing on my instrument panel. Found the 15 amp “INST” fuse blown. Everything else on the instrument cluster works...odometer, turn signals, hazards, speedo, high/low beams. Just those two lights.

The work to the bike involved new bars, new paint so all the tins were removed, redid a lot of the wiring pins as they were very poor work from the previous owner. One body mod was to add a bobbed rear fender and new turns and axle tail/tag light. So a lot of work over the last 3 months.

Read a few post trying to see what others have encountered. Couldn’t really find what I was looking for.

Looking for for any advice on where to start and if anyone else had this particular problem w just the neutral and engine light.

Many help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-09-2018, 01:20 AM
gusotto
Road Master
Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by 10Bones
Hey Guys I need some help. After some pretty extensive work on my 2010 Crossbones, I saw that I had no neutral or engine “oil” light showing on my instrument panel. Found the 15 amp “INST” fuse blown. Everything else on the instrument cluster works...odometer, turn signals, hazards, speedo, high/low beams. Just those two lights.
Going to have to do some wire tracing to see what feeds the missing lights.
Just time consuming.

Old 04-09-2018, 01:39 AM
10Bones
6th Gear

Yes I figured I would have to. Since it was just effecting those two lights, I was trying to get An idea of where to start. Try to cut down on that “time”...LOL. Thanks for the reply

Old 04-09-2018, 05:08 AM
10Bones
6th Gear

So I did a little work on this last night...couldn’t sleep. Everything except the “N” indicator and the “oil” can light work in the instrument. All lights work and function properly, fuel pump and starter are fine. Speedo and odometer fine. Both turn signal indicator lights as well as hazards function on the cluster just fine.

When end I rebuilt the bike I removed the passing lights it came with. They were wired on a solid red 10gauge wire originating from the ignition. The passing lights were wired off this wire w an inline fuse and separate on/off switch. I cut it loose and just taped this wire up and tucked it in the battery compartment area. Could this be it? I touched it to the positive terminal and got nothing.

So so where is my next step? Any thoughts?

Thanks in in advance for any advice.

Oh btw...I read one post that said these lights could be on the rear turn signals circuit. I unplugged the rear cluster and got no change. Not sure if that was right or not to do it that way. Huummm? Still confused.

Old 04-09-2018, 08:30 PM
Zanthamos
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 431 Likes on 360 Posts

Check the Orange wire, it feeds both the lights and the power to the fuel gauge and speedometer back-lighting.

Old 04-10-2018, 08:33 AM
10Bones
6th Gear

Found it!!! Short was in the gas gauge connection. Easy fix and really happy! Thanks for those who responded w advice. I really appreciate it.