Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

09 Streetglide tail lights

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2018, 06:43 PM
79289Chase
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 09 Streetglide tail lights

Hello all,

I have replaced my rear fender with one off of a 15/16 road glide. I did this to eliminate the big brake light. So I have the thing wired up and mostly working. I have running lights, tag lights turn signals and brakes. The issue I am having and can't remember how I did it on the other bike I did this swap to is how to keep the rear turns working correctly when applying the brake. I lose the turn signal function when braking. I thought maybe it was the tri bar light being different on the 14+ bikes so I ordered one for a 10 with no luck still, same results.

09SG uses the same tail light plug as the ultras did until 13. The other bike I did this swap on was an 11 limited and used a 12/13 fender. Not sure if it even matters. That bike is currently in the body shop so I can't just look at the harness to see.

Anyone have any ideas?

Old 05-14-2018, 02:06 PM
JAGlide
Tourer
Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

I post this in the Touring section a little while ago, sounds like same issue. Did you figure it out?

2009 Street Glide Turn Signal/Brake Light Issue
A friend of mine has a 2009 Street Glide. Previous owner had changed out rear lights and added some LED lights. It was really a terrible wiring job with some lights he got from who knows where. So my friend orders a CVO style filler panel with lights (LED). He used a harness that came with lights , so all the other wiring disaster is gone and it was straight plug and play with new lights. The running lights work, the brake lights work and the turn signals work. Problem is when turn signal is on and brakes are applied, turn signal stops flashing and only brake lights are on. When brakes are released turn signal goes back to flashing. So basically he is not getting turn signals when brakes are applied. He has double and triple checked the harness (even compared it to a CVO harness) and it looks correct. Is there some kind of relay that could have went bad that cuts power to brake light when turn signal is on? Maybe something else? Thanks.