Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Decreased FM Radio Reception After LED Headlight Install

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2017, 06:28 PM
GarBare
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Decreased FM Radio Reception After LED Headlight Install

The following is an email I sent to Eaglelites.com as well as Law Abiding Biker.com asking for suggestions to rectify my decreased radio reception issue after installing their LED headlight product. Eaglelites initial solution was that it was a grounding issue which I addressed below then submitted the result. Their secondary solution now is replacing it with a "non-halo" LED headlite. Law Abiding Biker's suggestion is to unplug each new component (I also installed LED turn/hazard/brake lights) until the faulty component is rectified which I'm pretty sure is the headlight. I like the look of the halo headlight so I'm simply reaching out for ideas or suggestions if someone else has experienced this and what your solution may have been. Thanks!!!

Referencing an Eaglelites.com Order back in late september early october I received and installed some lighting products onto my 2014 HD Street Glide Special. It was after the ((Eagle Lights 7" LED Headlight Halo Ring for Harley Davidson Motorcycles Daymaker × 1 (9100B)
Black / Adapter Wire / No Adapter Ring)) LED headlight installation that I noticed a vast difference in my radio reception with the headlight on vs with the headlight off both inside my garage as well as outside. I sent a couple of email requests to eaglelites regarding the issue and was advised that it most likely was a grounding issue. I have since removed the ferring front section, headlight, seat and battery tracing wiring and locating grounds. I found no grounding points under the ferring. I found two grounding studs on the frame just forward from the battery, removed the wires then cleaned the connection points at the stud bases and wire loops with an abrasive cloth then reattached. I also did the same with the battery cable connections and posts to ensure clean and proper connections.

Even with all of this I continue to experience the decreased reception in my FM stations with the ignition switch in the run positon, running and not running yet when I position the ignition switch to the accessory position both inside and outside of my garage the reception is 10 fold better, strong and what I feel is as it should be all the time.

Any additional suggestions and are there ground locations that I have missed?

Old 11-22-2017, 08:40 AM
larsfum
Stellar HDF Member
Received 458 Likes on 323 Posts

Get a ferrite choke and install it immediately behind the headlight connection. The LED's will mess with radio reception. Simple fix. A ferrite choke is that bump that you will sometimes see on powercords for laptops and such. You can buy ferrite chokes online, or at a Radio Shack store. You will need to measure the width of the headlight wiring harness so you get one that will fit over it.

Old 11-29-2017, 05:31 AM
GarBare
Intermediate

Is the ferrite choke similar to a resistor or something?

Old 11-29-2017, 09:50 AM
larsfum
Stellar HDF Member
Received 458 Likes on 323 Posts

Google it.

Old 11-29-2017, 10:04 AM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 30,792 Likes on 11,580 Posts

Originally Posted by GarBare
Is the ferrite choke similar to a resistor or something?
It keeps the magic smoke from the LED light from cross contaminating the rest of the motorcycle's magic smoke.

Old 11-29-2017, 10:55 AM
King_David
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Snap-On Ferrite Chokes

A ferrite choke can keep radio frequency signals from traveling from one part of an electrical circuit to another. The kind of choke you are looking for is called a clamp-on ferrite choke. It can look like a cylinder, or a cube, with a hole through it. It comes in two pieces, which snap together. You open the choke, lay the wire or wires into it, then snap on the other half.

Theoretically, in a Direct Current circuit, a LED (which is a diode that passes current on only one direction) should not generate radio frequency signals. But a vehicle's electrical system is not pure DC. It has all sorts of voltage spikes in it. When those spikes pass through the diode, additional signals, in the radio spectrum, can be generated, and radiated by the wiring harness. The wires act as antennas. The FM radio picks up the signals. Because of the proximity of the radiating wires to your radio, the radio automatically reduces its gain. So the radio loses sensitivity in the presence of the strong radio trash radiated by the wiring. The choke prevents the radio trash from being radiated by the wiring harness.

If you have an AM radio, you should find that it receives a lot of noise when your LED bulb is on. A FM receiver prevents you from hearing the electrical circuit noise, but the receiver still responds to it by reducing its gain, so FM stations seem weak.

It could take more than one choke to reduce the signals on the harness to a low level. Try one and see if it works. Good luck!

Dave

The following users liked this post:
GarBare (11-29-2017)
Old 12-13-2017, 05:26 PM
NYTPRLR
6th Gear

What Dave said should do the trick. Please let us know if it corrects the problem

Old 12-13-2017, 06:06 PM
GarBare
Intermediate

I contacted Eaglelites.com and have returned the product to them for a refund. Not sure I want to screw around with the ferrite choke and all that stuff, there should be a product produced that won't cause the problem. I'll just climb my way up the price tree till I find it I guess and hope I don't end up at the $500 HD light.

Currently have on order a Kuryakyn 2460 Orbit that will hopefully work better than the Eaglelites.com product. If this don't work then I'll most likely give up on my halo look as that seems to be the culprit with the interference issues but I can't confirm that. I'd think the more expensive lights would have something built into them to prevent the interference but perhaps i'm mistaken there too.

Thanks all the replies and assistance, unless there's some additional ideas out there.

Old 12-15-2017, 08:06 PM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member
Received 969 Likes on 670 Posts
The following users liked this post:
GarBare (12-21-2017)
Old 12-21-2017, 06:07 AM
GarBare
Intermediate
Default Kuryakyn Seems to have Saved Me

So I was allowed to return the Eaglelites L.E.D. headlight that caused me so much grief with my radio reception for a full refund minus shipping. Super company to work with, however, the product didn't work for me. In turn I purchased a Kuryakyn Orbit 7" Halo light #2460 and finally installed it this past saturday then made the adjustments inside my garage. Instructions were a bit shaky toward the end of installation and getting the OEM HD trim piece secured to the new base plate was a bit of a challenge. There's a bit of electrical wiring connection work to do and the instructions were not clear about that either with the ground wire. I installed the adapter harness and tried the light then compared the radio reception on/off/high/low/halo sequences and found that the light and halo illuminated without connecting the black "halo" ground wire to a vehicle ground. I was quite happy that my FM reception had returned no matter what sequence I tried with the exception of one weaker station on high beam. Once I completed the install and assembly I turned on my radio inside my garage and BOOM!! I had all my stations that I have with the original OEM halogen light!!! I'm extatic,,,,,,there was only some slight interference on a weaker station inside my garage but the improvement was awesome and I still have the halo look that I wanted. I caught a 47 degree day yesterday and was able to do a 30 mile road test on both a new windshield and the radio reception, it was so good to be able to listen to my FM stations again!!!! I may just order a ferrite choke on my next amazon order simply to "finish off" the little bit of interference that is there but again, the Kuryakyn light seems to have corrected my issue. Persistence and perserverence prevales and I didn't have to purchase that $4-500.00 light. And I like my Freedom Shields windshield too!!!
Thank you so much for all the replies with suggestions, tips and tricks!!!!