Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

New HD Heated Glove Hook Up

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 12:21 PM
GMRO
Road Captain
Received 50 Likes on 45 Posts
Default New HD Heated Glove Hook Up

Looking for some suggestions...

Got a new pair of HD 12v heated gloves. Reviewing the booklet that came with them.

I thought I'd be able to use these gloves on both my bikes seeing as I have the battery tender/charging leads installed on them. My charging leads are connected directly to the battery terminals on both bikes.

But the HD glove power wire has a fuze in it and they want that harness/wires connected directly to the battery terminals.

So I can't just make a connection to the tender/charging lead with the glove wire? Not thinking of Mcgiver'ing it but actually soldering up a nice lead that will still have the fuse system that the HD gloves provide - BUT - just have the glove wire connect into my tender/charging plug.

Any reason this won't be safe or work?

Instruction book shows 2.2 amps is the draw of the gloves. I have an inline multi-meter that I can connect up to a standing battery and check the amp draw before doing the install. Looking at the wires in the glove package and the tender/charging lead the wire gauge is pretty close. I'd only be concerned that the tender/charging lead polarized end would handle the current draw of the gloves. Though the quickie connectors on the HD glove wires don't seem to be all that robust so I think all may work fine.

Anyone do this type of hook up already? Suggestions?

Thanks in advance!!!

Old 08-08-2017, 08:23 PM
Qdog002
Stellar HDF Member
Received 868 Likes on 547 Posts

Are the battery tender leads and the glove leads the same? Usually not. I have a separate lead for my heated gear. Gloves plug into the jacket liner. Jacket plugs into the bike. Temp control is wireless. Both leads have a fuse.

Not sure if the tender wire can handle the draw of heated gear, especially if you have more than one piece of heated gear.

The following users liked this post:
GMRO (08-09-2017)
Old 08-09-2017, 07:05 AM
GMRO
Road Captain
Received 50 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Qdog002
Are the battery tender leads and the glove leads the same? Usually not. I have a separate lead for my heated gear. Gloves plug into the jacket liner. Jacket plugs into the bike. Temp control is wireless. Both leads have a fuse.

Not sure if the tender wire can handle the draw of heated gear, especially if you have more than one piece of heated gear.
I may have to just bite the bullet and wire the HD glove lead to the battery. Guess you never know about upgrades. If I get a liner the system will be pulling more amps for sure. Course the tender lead is fused too so if it did pull too much it'd just pop the fuse.

Wires from the tender and the gloves seem to be similar in thickness. BUT again since I could be upgrading in the future...it may make more sense to just wire direct. Do it right do it once as they say. Didn't think I'd be upgrading past gloves being I've got chaps and a great HD leather jacket for colder mornings. Cooler than 33 deg in PA and my bikes are parked anyway.

I will have to source another lead for bike# 2 since the gloves only have 1 in the package and I want to be able to use these on both bikes. Hopefully Harley has a P/N for the harness alone.

Thanks for the input!

Old 08-09-2017, 02:16 PM
Qdog002
Stellar HDF Member
Received 868 Likes on 547 Posts

I believe HD uses FirstGear heating controllers and leads so I am sure you can find them for less $$ on Ebay.