Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Battery Storage out of the bike

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2017 | 03:44 PM
Bob Z.
|
Road Master
Veteran: Navy
Default Battery Storage out of the bike

So the shop I just bought my '11 Fat Boy Lo is having a brand new battery sent to me but I want to get the most of the one that is in her now: what is the best way to store it? Should I have put it on a battery tender? If so is it ok to keep it on for possibly a couple years?

Old 06-17-2017 | 06:16 AM
6530mask
Elite HDF Member

Don't see the advantage of keeping a new battery on a tender for several years. Better to replace the battery if you have any doubts and while storing the bike for any length of time, connect the tender? Why take the risk of being stranded with a questionable battery. A credit on a future battery purchase would be ideal?

Old 06-17-2017 | 07:59 AM
Bob Z.
|
Road Master

That is what I am thinking - put it in the bike or sell it.

Old 06-18-2017 | 08:38 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Simple, remove the old battery, put the new one in.

Don`t look for trouble by being a cheapskate.

Old 06-18-2017 | 08:50 AM
Bob Z.
|
Road Master

Not cheap, just frugal, and I hate to waste things. I listed the new battery locally on Craigslist but if it does not sell I still wonder how long I could keep it as-new. I emailed Deltran and told asked them and was told I could use my Battery Tender Jr. on it for a couple years with no fear of sulfating it.

Old 06-18-2017 | 09:07 AM
squirrelsnest
Seasoned HDF Member

Keep it for a battery core refund on your next battery

Old 06-18-2017 | 09:32 AM
Bob Z.
|
Road Master

Now that batteries can be bought online core charges/returns are a thing of the past, at least for small batteries.

Old 06-20-2017 | 09:31 AM
grbrown
Club Member

If the existing battery is the original it is six or more years old - it would be worth checking to see if it has an installation date on it. You got yourself into this muddle, so fit the new one and give the old one a respectful retirement. It's a false economy to sell a new battery at a loss, then have to buy a fresh one soon - in a few months?! Whether you are a cheapskate or not, you're certainly not being very wise!

Old 06-20-2017 | 10:47 AM
Bob Z.
|
Road Master

The battery in the bike now was put installed in March 2016 (written in top of the battery) so it is fairly fresh; however, it was drained a few times before I bought it so it life span may have been shorten, thus the reason I was given a new one. Again, I hate to be wasteful and since I got it for free if I can sell it I made out, which I think it wise. And then when I really need one I can buy the brand I prefer.

Old 06-24-2017 | 10:16 AM
Zerk
Banned

They are expensive. One year old is tough call. Little older, I would have kept the new one. I probably still would. I would sell the old one, and tell people abut it, and sell it cheap. Maybe $50. Might as well have the newest in the bike.

When they get real old, I put them in lawn mower.

I used to store them in basement for winter. Now I am to lazy too. Also garage is insulated, so for most of the winter it is around 35 degrees. In your case heat, hurts batteries more than cold. If I was to store it, I would have put in basement.

Either way, if I had 2 batteries, I would want the best in my bike. The $ from selling a used battery, wouldn't move my needle much.

Quick Reply: Battery Storage out of the bike