Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

2001 flstc no spark

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 09:38 PM
mckelcd
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 flstc no spark

alright guys and gals, ill start off by saying that i have done tons of forum research and i still cannot really locate my answer. for starters have an 01 heritage softail classic(carb). the last couple of days i have noticed that my bike has taken a little bit longer to start up but i didn't pay to much mind to it. i road it yesterday morning to work and it rode fine, last night i went to start it and i couldnt get it to fire. first things first i pulled the plugs and tested the plugs for spark and i had no spark. so i proceeded to change the plugs,wires,coilpack. tried it again and still nothing. i then started looking on some threads, a few pointed me to the ignition switch, some the tssm, and the security system. i then remembered that i was getting the flashing turn signal lights when i was trying to start it. i was also getting a check engine light but that would show up and then clear previously when i would crack it(so i paid no mind). i then remembered that when i bought it the previous owner told me he did something with the security system so the bike has no steering lock nor does it take a fob(i didn't know if all models required a fob). so i am still as square one. if anyone has any similar issues or could lead me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-09-2017, 10:16 PM
mckelcd
2nd Gear

did some more digging and found a thread that had a few people that changed there CPS and that worked, so im going to give that a shot

Old 06-10-2017, 12:35 PM
larsfum
Stellar HDF Member
Received 458 Likes on 323 Posts

Have you tested the battery? Sometimes there can be enough to turn the motor over, but nothing left for fire.

Old 06-10-2017, 01:20 PM
Zerk
Banned
Received 832 Likes on 658 Posts

Also midyear 01, I believe they elimianated cam posistion sensor. YOu may or may not have it.

For a few years now, my 01 hazzards have flashed about 4 times, when I turned the ignition on. I should replace TSSM before something happens.

If the bike is cranking, I would think ignition swithc and kill are ok, and focus on ignition cicruit.

Old 06-10-2017, 08:58 PM
mckelcd
2nd Gear

Thanks for the reply guys, I replaced the crank position sensor and that was the fix. It started up immediately.